lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
gfinc
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car DS SR to FNR switch connections after upgrade

Three years ago I purchased a used 1996 Club Car DS. In order to make it street legal, I replaced components as follows:
  • MCOR 4 throttle (5k – 0)
  • D&D ES-81-25 motor
  • Heavy duty FNR . . with two solid bus bars across backside. Model 5770
  • Alltrax SR-48500 controller
  • MJZ 400 Amp Solenoid with 3 amp coil suppression diode and 470 OHM pre-charge resistor
  • All new 2AWG cables

The initial start-up on this cart (in both forward and reverse) is very torque-ey unless a very light touch is applied to the throttle. I tried to adjust this using the SR programming, but nothing I do with that interface seems to have any effect. Other than this issue, the cart runs fine. I’m thinking maybe I connected something incorrectly between the FNR and the controller/motor?

Per the wiring diagram that came with the SR controller, I have the S2, S1 and A2 cables connected from the motor to the corresponding lugs on the FNR.

Per the diagram, one of the two large lugs on the solenoid is connected to battery positive (fused). The B- lug on the SR controller is connected to battery negative. The other large lug on the solenoid is connected to B+ on the SR controller.

Per the diagram, the B+ lug on the SR controller is also connected to the A1 lug on the motor.

For the other connections, the configuration of my new FNR switch is a little different than what appears on the SR diagram, which has me thinking I did it wrong. That diagram shows only two lugs on the FNR – both on the bottom.

My FNR switch has two pairs of large lugs on the backside, one above the other. There are two thick horizontal bus bars on the switch that connect each pair.

I am guessing (from what I’ve read) that A2 on the motor should connect to the upper set of connected lugs on the back of the FNR, and M- on the controller should be attached to the lower set of connected lugs on the FNR? (I have to admit that I’m not sure how I had these connections made before I started disconnecting cables in conjunction with trying to fix this issue, so I may not have had it connected in this manner originally)

Alternatively, I saw a “generic” diagram on this forum that suggests something different . . which would be to connect M- from the controller to A1 on the motor (in lieu of connecting M- to the FNR) / / and to connect B+ on the controller to the bottom? set of lugs on the FNR switch (in lieu of connecting B+ to A1 on the motor).

SOOOO . . four questions

1. How should I connect M- and B+ to the motor vs the FNR?
2. Am I correct that the upper, connected pair of lugs on the FNR should connect to lug A2 on the motor?
3. Does that leave the bottom pair of lugs on the FNR connected to either M- or B+ . . subject to the answer to question 1
4. Is the throttle setting in the programming (5k-0 vs 0-5k) dependent on these setups.

THANKS SO MUCH. I WANT TO GET MY CART GOING AGAIN, BUT I DONLT WANT TO FRY ANYTHING AND I AM HOPING THAT THE CART WILL RESPOND TO THE CONTROLLER PROGRAMMING
gfinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS SR to FNR switch connections after upgrade

There are multiple was to connect the wires from the motor to the FnR switch and still have it work. As long as it goes Forward in F, and reverse in R, the connections are probably right. What is being switched when you move the FNR is the polarity of the field current which reverses the direction the motor rotates.

An issue with the cart lurching that is probably due to the selected throttle profile in the controller. You should be able to set it so the controller reacts less on initial throttle input. Some of the guys here who know the alltrax software should be able to help with that.

If not that it could be a solenoid engagement issue. Such as if the solenoid is engaging after the controller is trying to apply power to the motor. Using an MCOR throttle control, this should be something that can be adjusted with the proper throttle settings in the controller software.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
gfinc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response. My issue is that the throttle response programming i've done with the SR controller has had no impact whatsoever on the cart . . making me think I have something wrong, even though it does go in forward and reverse. There IS linear throttle sensitivity, I would just like to make the bottom side of the curve more gradual. Nothing I've tried in the software has had any effect.

The solenoid makes a very audible click when the throttle is lightly engaged. . and the cart won't move until I move the throttle a little more. . and it does move slowly at t he start . . but I have to constantly be attentive about how I use the throttle and severely warn unfamiliar drivers of the cart to be VERRY careful with the throttle. I was hoping I could address this with the software . . to no avail
Old 04-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
gfinc
Not Yet Wild

Bump
Old 04-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Unless you have an issue with the potentiometer, the SR should handle what you need. I always call Alltrax when I have an abnormal concern and almost every time they have an answer or want info from me (logs, screen shots, etc.) to have their engineers look at it.

Try them at 541-476-3565 and Ron Manns or one of their team may have a quick answer.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

1st question what is the throttle code presented by the LED blink light when the controller is first powered up?
2nd Q does the LED turn orange when the pedal is fully depressed.
3rd Q with the cart safely off the floor or disabled, crawl under the cart a bit and look at the MCOR drive rod while pressing the pedal by hand, does the pedal move the rod initially or is there the same delay in MCOR movement you describe with the pedal action? There are some mechanical repairs for this problem.
4th Q What does the throttle ramp look like in the software graft. Does it rocket to the top like the cart complaint? Have you tried a bell curve approach?
5th Q when you make software changes are you hitting the SET button? And when the SET button turns blue are you waiting for it to turn gray again before closing the program.
6th Q out of curiosity what is the throttle rate set at?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #7
gfinc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scotty.

I do have a bell curve in the program graph, and I made sure the SET button was correctly saved.

I will definitely check the other issues you suggested this weekend.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car