lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
sjrisner
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Batteries require a lot of water

I have a 2014 Club Car. I have watered the batteries after charging every few weeks since I got the cart ensuring enough space for outgassing. My dealer is now saying that the batteries are no good and need replacement. Assuming I use the cart 4-5 hours a week should the batteries need 1/2 gallon of water every few weeks? Is there another issue with the cart electrically or with the charger? I will have to replace the batteries but I don't want the same issue in 15 months.
sjrisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
sjrisner
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Batteries require a lot of water

One other note. The batteries were new 18 months ago.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 PM   #3
Roy Gurley
Gone Wild

Club Car

Location: Retired and live in small town of Timberlake, North Carolina

What battery charger you have? name of batteries? Could be just the charger needs to be reset for the batteries!
Roy Gurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrisner View Post
I have a 2014 Club Car. I have watered the batteries after charging every few weeks since I got the cart ensuring enough space for outgassing. My dealer is now saying that the batteries are no good and need replacement. Assuming I use the cart 4-5 hours a week should the batteries need 1/2 gallon of water every few weeks? Is there another issue with the cart electrically or with the charger? I will have to replace the batteries but I don't want the same issue in 15 months.
This can/could be perfectly normal....during my summers I have to top off my batteries (always use distilled water) EVERY WEEK. as where I live its hot. typically during the winter month they don't use as much.....depending upon how much you use your cart. Just remember, ALWAYS keep you cart charged at all times (plugged in when ever possible).

to me, it sounds like your dealer is trying to gouge you for a set of batteries.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
sjrisner
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The guy that customized my cart has my cart and charger right now. My cart has Trojan 875 8V batteries and I’m not sure what brand the charger is. What I am sure of is that the cart needed 14 gallons of water in he last 12 months. The batteries are now bad according to my cart guy and he keeps saying I didn’t water the batteries enough. There has to be another issue in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

How much water are you adding to the batteries when you top them off and what's your "cart guy's" reasoning for saying they're bad?

It could be the charger is over charging the battery's causing them to mist a lot. Do you have to clean the acid mist off your batteries very frequently?
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrisner View Post
The guy that customized my cart has my cart and charger right now. My cart has Trojan 875 8V batteries and I’m not sure what brand the charger is. What I am sure of is that the cart needed 14 gallons of water in he last 12 months. The batteries are now bad according to my cart guy and he keeps saying I didn’t water the batteries enough. There has to be another issue in my opinion.

I would suspect a charging problem causing the water to evaporate rapidly.
For batteries to die in just 18 months they would have to be
A) not kept watered and charged
B) over charged or over discharged
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
catmcaw
Gone Wild

Wow, 14 gallons. The last set of batteries I bought used no water the first year. As they got older they start ed to use more. I think I would be lookin at the charger.
catmcaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
sjrisner
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The stated reason for the batteries being bad is that I didn’t water them enough so you can understand my frustration.
Thanks for all the input. Between y’all and another local cart company I now have an argument.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

How often did you check the water? Did you have to add 14 gallons all at once? If so, you more than likely had exposed plates, which will cause irreparable damage.

Not sayin' the batteries were good, just sayin' what the shop is gonna tell you.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, watering
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car