lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
hawgs
Getting Wild

Default How to identify a Regen Club Car?

Hello all, just joined here after purchasing my 2000 Club Car last night. Bought it with new batteries and in good shape for $1000... I think I got a pretty good deal from what I've seen.

I'm planning on installing a spindle lift kit, new wheels and tires and a rear seat... so that I can haul people/fishing stuff around at my vacation house.

I did some basic research before buying my cart and found that people weren't too kind on the Regen carts. Many said they weren't worth buying with all the headaches they give you. That being said, I bought mine and the owner didn't know if it was a Regen cart. Is there anyway to identify a regen cart? If mine turns out to be a regen cart, is it really that bad?

Sorry for the long post and the potentially stupid question, but I'm new to all this. Thanks in advance.
hawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
Riorat
supervision required

Club Car

Default Re: How to identify a Regen Club Car?

Welcome to bgw, $1000 sounds like a real good deal to me. Never heard of the regen cart though, some one else will have to jump in & help you out there.
Riorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
hawgs
Getting Wild

Thanks for the welcome Riorat. I think I have determined that it the cart does not have the Regenerative Braking system on it... which I suppose is a good thing.

Now to start buying parts.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Welcome to BGW Always great to have another Club Car owner on board.

Boo
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Welcome Hawgs!!

Yes!, you got a good deal.

The Regen (Regenerative Breaking) can be identified by a Rocker Switch on top of a small box. It changes the direction of travel, hence F-N-R

This model is the closest sister to the IQ car which is like the Regen but has much more computer to change the effects of the cars running and operation. It can be identified by a rocker switch on top of a small box also, however, the IQ model will have a Plug-In type Jack on the bottom side of the box with a plastic cover to cover the jack. This jack is to plug in a programer to make adjustments and settings of the computer.

The old style, Non Regen, Forward & Reverse control is a knob on a rod and a large rotating switch assembly. These types of cars and associated motors are being phased out by golf car manufacturers. It's this model that has been so sought after for so long.

With the new technology from the Regen up, and the IQ cars, the ability to modify these cars and their motors & controlers has been enhanced to the point that they are in demand and getting more so all the time because they can be "tricked out" as easily as the Non Regen carts were. They are the newest and fastly becoming more plentiful.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
hawgs
Getting Wild

Thanks for the welcome azboo and Rusty, I appreciate it. You both have great looking carts (I saw pictures in another thread).

I'm pretty sure it is an IQ model, but not totally sure. I have a F-N-R lever that looks like this:

If I am understanding Rusty's post correctly, I have an IQ. If it was a Regen, it would have a rocker type switch for forward-reverse. Right?

Sounds like it is not that big of a deal either way.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Nupe...... Yours is not "Regen" or "IQ".......

Yours is the earlier model usually called "Series" because of the series wound motor.

It has the big switch under the seat behind the lever.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
hawgs
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty View Post
Nupe...... Yours is not "Regen" or "IQ".......

Yours is the earlier model usually called "Series" because of the series wound motor.

It has the big switch under the seat behind the lever.
Oh okay, thanks Rusty.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
Big Bump
Getting Wild

Hawgs,
You have the better of the carts to "Jack Up". Go for it and enjoy.
Big Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
hawgs
Getting Wild

Thanks Big Bump. Ordering the lift today. Hopefully a new motor and the accessories at some future date.

Here are some pictures as it sits today. Should look a lot different once I'm done with it.

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car