lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2021, 05:23 AM   #1
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Yamaha ydre wont't run

Hi all,

got a new project, 2007 yamaha ydre, that won't run. cart came without charger, so first loaded batteries separately, pack voltage ~50v. On a first check, i detected the following symthoms:
When switch to on, no click from solenoid
Switching run/tow, no cllck from solenoid
Pushing the cart forth/back, no motorbrake, no click
Only when pushing the gas pedal, it clicks, and when pedal is off, clicks again.

I'm not new to carts, but new to Yamaha and the ydre was so cheap, that i couldn't walk away

Any suggestions, from where to start?
Rgds ojo
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha ydre wont't run

There are two weak points on the YDRE: Motor and Controller. I would first suspect that the motor is shot - brushes worn down to nothing. (if it's the stock Hitachi motor) Does the reverse buzzer work when you put it in reverse mode?
Measure the resistance between the two armature posts. Should be very low.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, it's the Hitachi motor, and yes, the buzzer comes in reverse. I've just messured at the solenoid in tow position, from battery 49.9v and other post to controller 0.3v?? Resistance between big post's on Motor 0.8ohm.
Thank you!
Old 04-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Try this...Tap on the end of the motor cap with a hammer while in tow and then go back to run...try the cart again. Sometimes if the motor brushes are stuck this will get cart moving again...that's not a fix, its just an easy way to diagnose bad motor brushes that often works.
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you have help, you could measure the voltage across the motor armature terminals while someone presses the pedal in fwd. Either lift the back wheels off the ground or prepare for the cart possibly moving forward. If you get voltage there and the cart doesn't move, then the motor is the problem. If the solenoid doesn't click, then you need to chase the solenoid circuit. The controller controls the solenoid but the run/tow switch and ignition switch also have to be closed to get the solenoid to engage. ALso, there is a 3 amp fuse in that circuit located in the driver's side of the battery compartment. It's not that easy to find the first time. (been there!)
Old 04-14-2021, 12:40 PM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Got a new charger today, so i can charge the batteries completely first and will do the other tests tomorrow. Also trying to find these 3 amp fuse and my 🔨
Thank you Guys, appreciate it.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:52 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Got a new charger today, so i can charge the batteries completely first and will do the other tests tomorrow. Also trying to find these 3 amp fuse and my 🔨
Thank you Guys, appreciate it.
If you get reverse buzzer & solenoid click, 3a fuse is good. And I think you have a failing motor.

When the Moric controller fails its usually 100% gone, no solenoid click, no reverse buzzer (both are actuated by the controller).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #8
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, you all're right... batteries completely loaded, tried with the hammer (not too hard), but won't run. Found the fuse, as cgtech says, it's OK. Then with lifted rear tyres and a friend of mine at the accelerator, i've checked at the motor and got voltage at green wire, motor still dosn't move! Everything points to stuck/worn brushes... will order them today. Thank you all so far
Old 04-15-2021, 02:19 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Please explain where you got motor voltage! You want to measure across the A1 and A2 terminals. Not the F1 F2. You can measure there too but the high current that goes through the brushes goes into the A1, A2 terminals.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #10
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Was something wrong? I took negative from batt. pack, on A1/A2 = 50.7v, on F1 = 0v, on F2 = 30+ v when accelerating, down to 0v when decellerating.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha