lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2020, 12:35 AM   #1
nannobooboo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Lightbulb 02 TXT 36V info please: battery tray removal

Hi,

First, thanks for all the great info on your site! I've spent hours here reading all kinds of articles, and also everything I can find or watch on this topic.

I'm looking for the instructions on removing the battery tray/rack in my buggy. I downloaded the manual 28646 but cannot find any info on that procedure. Mine's corroded and I need to order a replacement, but noticed that there are a couple of design differences in the tabs on the aftermarket racks. I've pulled back the floormat and believe I can get to those star headed bolts. But looking at the different ends on the aftermarket has confused the issue (or just me!).

I found a shop here in SC that fabs frames that look just like the OEM. Link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Rac...t/324261851177

My question is this: would I be better off (I'm an "in the long run" gal) going this route versus the other non-tabbed aftermarket designs? ALSO, I've seen a lot of YouTubers saying you don't have to remove the entire cart body. Looking at the parts manual, looks doable to me as well.

So the real question - is this a bolt-on replacement job or am I getting into a welding project? Just want to make sure what's involved before I decide which one to get. I can cuss at a rusted bolt a lot better than I can weld... ...for now, anyway!

If anybody has a minute to share their insight - instructions, links, etc. - it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by nannobooboo; 08-20-2020 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: found more info
nannobooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2020, 02:18 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 02 TXT 36V info please: battery tray removal

Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:20 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

No way to answer without seeing what you have.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

nannobooboo…FIRST to answer your question....replacing the battery tray is a TOTALLY BOLT IN PROCEDURE. Myself and many of us have done it....addressing the "STAR" (torx) bolt...grrrrrrr what I pain, if you can't get it off, grind the head off. then drill out the bolt..use an easy-out. drill a larger hole if need be need be and either tap the new hole or just put a nut on the back side. I ended up putting a REGULAR bold in.

here is the last one I did....in the front, other than the "STAR" bolts there should only the small bolts that hold the upright in the front. and on the back the only bolts are in the back uprights.

oh and btw..... Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives’, husbands, girlfriend’s and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:38 AM   #5
nannobooboo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, Sir Nuke, I must say that was quite a big TEXAS welcome...and I thought we here in South Kackalacky had a corner on that market! Looks like I've come to the right place. Thanks! I feel right at home!

The photo of that naked cart is exactly what I needed to see. The schematic looked like it would be the case, and that makes me feel better. Of course, those rusty bolts may change my mind in the morning, but never fear, there's ice in that adult beverage refrigerator! I'll probably need it!

I soaked the those Torx bolts and nuts down in PB Blaster so hopefully it'll work a little magic. If not, a well placed impact socket should do the trick. I went ahead and ordered the one from the link previously sent. I like the powder coated steel and OEM design.

Since we're on the topic, is there a brand of replacement shocks y'all recommend? And how about a replacement cargo box for the steel one that's rusted out - anybody like the honky looking thermoplastic ones? I'm on a small farm, so mostly hauling 50lb bags of feed in quantity and yard debris.
(And sometimes a cooler! )

Yes, there will be more questions. Thanks in advance for helping me with my buggy. I'll send some photos. BTW, really nice wheels! And that car next to it isn't too shabby either!

Last edited by nannobooboo; 08-21-2020 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: spelling and an afterthought
Old 08-21-2020, 02:46 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Skip all "thermo-plastic" anything, 2 reasons why... first, it's probably not the one to fit your cart anyway. Second - just how much faith do you want to have in "fiberglass reinforced plastic" as a good thing anyway?

I've never seen a "fiber-plastuc" one "just drop a battery", but I have seen their "magic solution" do little better to avoid corrosion issues. It still happens just the same. Overall, I'd rather a setup I can repair with a welder, if need be . Txt tray can be unbolted, g22 yamaha can be unbolted, the "metal ones" can. Be replicated easily, the plastic ones, not so much . "Starting from scratch".
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
nannobooboo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Actually I was referring to the cargo box on the back of the cart vice the battery rack, but I agree. I tend to go back with OEM when reasonable - since the engineers figured out how to support a half dozen of those whopping 65 pound batteries bouncing all over creation...and that it lasted from 2002 - good enough for me! I bought a welder a while back but haven't really pursued the skill yet. It's on my "list" for fall when it cools down a bit.

Any input on brands of shocks? I've seen Pinto and Mustang shocks mentioned...
Old 12-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #8
bobbyg75
Not Yet Wild

Did anyone answer the question on whether the back body needs to be removed to replace the battery tray with a bolt on replacement? I don’t have access to weld so I need to unbolt the old one and bolt new one in. Thanks!
bobbyg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:56 AM   #9
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg75 View Post
Did anyone answer the question on whether the back body needs to be removed to replace the battery tray with a bolt on replacement? I don’t have access to weld so I need to unbolt the old one and bolt new one in. Thanks!
It has been a long time since I did one, but I think it can be done without removing the rear body. Seems like one or more of the bolts were difficult to access and I ended up grinding or drilling.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #10
nannobooboo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks to everyone who replied. You were right, the torx bolts were a nightmare. Took me 2 days to get at the first one, but 20 minutes to pull the 2nd one! Replacement was a dream to install, no problems.

Tags
36v, battery, replacement, tray, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO