lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
Jaworowski
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 tires and lift questions

Hello everyone, I am new to golf carts and have a few questions I was hoping to get advice on.

I currently have a stock 2007 Yamaha G29 cart. I would like it add a three inch lift with 21 inch tires. I have done a little reading and from what I gather it is hard on the motor and speed controller when you up the tire size.

I am not currently in a position to buy an upgraded speed controller but would still love to add the lift and tires. Would this be okay to do for a year or so until I upgrade my speed controller or is this a terrible idea?

Also has anyone had the factory tune done from Yamaha in increase speed? I currently max out at 12MPH

Thanks for your time, Aaron.
Jaworowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 tires and lift questions

Depends how "worn out" your worn-out motor is. Maybe itll last a year, maybe a week. I've done several Yamaha PTV speed upgrades. It does just that, increases your "speed limit" to 19mph (with stock size tires). It does Not guarantee 19mph on any particular surface, or configuration. It also does Not improve, or degrade your torque.

Installing taller tires will hurt your torque for acceleration & hill climbing. (Every tire rotation covers more ground, which puts the motor & controller at a mechanical disadvantage compared to stock).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
Tha_B_Man
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have the same cart. I did a 6in lift with 23” tires, stock everything else 3 years ago. Ran it that way for at least a year with no issues. Eventually upgraded the controller 2 years ago. Everything still fine. Bought new batteries last year, still going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tha_B_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
Jaworowski
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_B_Man View Post
I have the same cart. I did a 6in lift with 23” tires, stock everything else 3 years ago. Ran it that way for at least a year with no issues. Eventually upgraded the controller 2 years ago. Everything still fine. Bought new batteries last year, still going.

Great, that makes me feel a little better about it. Any idea what you were getting for top speed?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2020, 05:58 AM   #5
Jaworowski
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Depends how "worn out" your worn-out motor is. Maybe itll last a year, maybe a week. I've done several Yamaha PTV speed upgrades. It does just that, increases your "speed limit" to 19mph (with stock size tires). It does Not guarantee 19mph on any particular surface, or configuration. It also does Not improve, or degrade your torque.

Installing taller tires will hurt your torque for acceleration & hill climbing. (Every tire rotation covers more ground, which puts the motor & controller at a mechanical disadvantage compared to stock).
Makes sense, since I would like to upgrade controllers at some point it sounds like it will be worth adding a lift and tires for the time being. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #6
Tha_B_Man
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I’m had the PVT(?) code installed so I was getting in the low twenties. Plenty of speed for cruising.

Tha_B_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #7
Mrtosh
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post

The PTV tune shouldn't place any undo stress on the stock motor though correct?
Mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:21 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtosh View Post
The PTV tune shouldn't place any undo stress on the stock motor though correct?
No, ptv speed code doesnt change the motors gear advantage over the tires, like big tires or high speed gears do.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha