lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
matrixclese
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 G16 barn find, FUSE/Rough RUN problems (pics and details)

So over the weekend, I found that an acquaintance was closing down is golf cart business. I picked up two "fixer uppers".

The cart I'm currently working on is the 1997 G16 4-seater Gas.

After freeing it from the weeds behind the business, and getting it home I got to work.

-New Battery
-Empty old gas/filled with new gas
-new fuel filter
-cleaned fuel pump
-total carb (rebuild) cleaning
-replace suction hose inside the fuel tank.

Current state:

1) The airbox is missing. All that came with the cart was a filter and top cover.
2) The Cart runs if I place a bunched up rag at the air intake. I'm guessing the airbox offers some sort of air resistance/vacuum?
3) The main fuse blows after the cart is running for a few minutes. doesnt matter what amperage (10/20/30). I've heard that the lights can cause this if they are somehow grounding to the frame? Better if they are grounded directly to the battery?

Questions:

1) Is it best to buy a stock airbox? or is there an aftermarket box that is better?

2) Does the "rag method" mentioned above make any sense or am I just choking this cart to life?

3) What other things could cause fuse to be blowing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-07-20 08.50.43.jpg (227.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-07-20 16.29.48.jpg (222.4 KB, 0 views)
matrixclese is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

Default Re: 97 G16 barn find, FUSE/Rough RUN problems (pics and details)

Nice find.

I would stick with the original air box unless you want to mess with rejetting the carb for changes in air flow.

As for the fuse, it is most likely a ground issue some where but I'll admit I'm no expert on that.

Somebody with a little more experience will most likely be along to correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, welcome to the site, lots of good people and advice here.
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
matrixclese
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your reply. I ordered a new Air box from DIYgolfcart.com I hope they are a good seller, the prices were reasonable.

So I think I resolved the fuse issue. After tearing into the dash of the cart I found a bunch of home made wiring. I rewired the lights directly to the battery it all seems well now.

Thanks for the welcome, I've spent many hours on here before I posted, didn't want to be one of those guys whining about a problem that had been discussed a million times.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

I know what you mean, I spent many hours (and still do sometimes) searching, researching and looking for the answers before just posting a question that 20 other folks have already asked. I don't always find it but at least I give it a shot first.

Good to hear you got the fuse issue figured out.
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
matrixclese
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, it drive me crazy when people post something like: "My carts keeps turning off, what is the problem?" and just expect the magical cart wizards to diagnose through cart telepathy or something. I try to research as much as possible myself first, then provide as much detail as possible moving forward.

As far as my G16 is concerned. I think that once I get the new airbox in and connected, and therefore provide correct airflow I'll be in decent shape. I'll post results etc... Also, I'll post pics along the way.

This cart is mainly going to be used at race tracks, so may end up doing some subtle race theming on it.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have a 2001 but mine is called a G-20 factory limo. It had been sitting for about 3 years and took awhile to get everything worked out but it was well worth it.
Check out my build ( Building A Lifted Limo Yamaha ) theres a few more threads search for LURCH's post or threads. Anything I can help you with just let me know!!!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
tpblueeyes
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

very nice
tpblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carb, fuse, g16
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha