lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
steveclv
Not Yet Wild

Default Help - cart stops when throttle switch opens

Hope someone can help

This gas Club Car starts and runs beautifully - has the single cylinder Kawasaki motor.

When driving however it runs 20 yards and stops so I pulled the carb and cleaned it out. No difference.

I then replaced the fuel hoses, put in a new filter and then replaced the fuel pump. Checked the new one and it pumps a good flow of fuel. No difference.

I then checked the gas pedal and it's a rod that rotates a plastic quadrant that pulls on the throttle cable and there is a microswitch that opens after 1/4 throttle. I used a zip tie to keep it permanently closed and the cart ran perfectly fine.

So what does the microswitch do and why would the engine die when it opens?
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
meschw
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Help - cart stops when throttle switch opens

Have you tried disengaging the rpm limiter? I replaced everything, until i accidently bumped the rpm limiter and fixed years of frustration and swearing.
meschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
steveclv
Not Yet Wild

Where's the rev limiter?

This is a President I believe and it has key start and idle - there is only 1 microswitch in that black throttle box.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclv View Post
Hope someone can help

This gas Club Car starts and runs beautifully - has the single cylinder Kawasaki motor.

When driving however it runs 20 yards and stops so I pulled the carb and cleaned it out. No difference.

I then replaced the fuel hoses, put in a new filter and then replaced the fuel pump. Checked the new one and it pumps a good flow of fuel. No difference.

I then checked the gas pedal and it's a rod that rotates a plastic quadrant that pulls on the throttle cable and there is a microswitch that opens after 1/4 throttle. I used a zip tie to keep it permanently closed and the cart ran perfectly fine.

So what does the microswitch do and why would the engine die when it opens?
Aren't there 2 micro switches on that quadrant? One is the motor kill switch. It operates on neg polarity. I think you are onto your problem.... Check it for no continuity when running and continuity when no throttle ... hope this makes some sense
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
steveclv
Not Yet Wild

No, there's only one microswitch on this one - I assumed that the gas pedal start function was removed when it went to key start.

The thing is that the one switch that's there is 'on' when the gas pedal is not depressed and up to about 1/4 throttle - then the switch opens as the quadrant moves - looks like that's how it was designed.

I really don't know what that switch is designed to do - what would need to operate when the throttle was opened?

I'm confused :)

By the way, the switch has 3 wires to it - so one will be the common and the other 2 will be on/off with the switch on and off/on with the switch off.

If I could find a wiring diagram that showed just one switch I could probably work it out but all of the ones I have seen have 2 switches.

With the switch wired closed it starts, runs and stops just fine so I'm at a loss to work out what it's meant to do.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That is 2 switches (in one)with one operation lever ..... One switch is normally open that would be the solenoid activation? the other is normally closed and it would be the engine kill switch.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
steveclv
Not Yet Wild

Hmm that doesn't make sense either as the cart has an 'ignition switch' with a key start. So lifting the gas pedal doesn't stop the engine. Neither does pressing the gas pedal cause it to start.

There are wires attached to the switch but it's can't be for engine stop and start as that's all controlled from the key.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Lets go back to the beginning and you tell us what cart we are working on? Year and model Please Factory key start? Aftermarket conversion? Problem history? Like that
Old 04-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
steveclv
Not Yet Wild

2006/07 President - factory key start - 1 cyl Kawasaki engine

Been fine until last weekend when the engine dies after pressing the gas pedal.

Cleaned the carb, replaced fuel filter and lines, new fuel pump.
If I operate the engine in neutral using the carb throttle linkage it revs fine - reaches max revs and dies, then picks up again to max revs and dies - I think this is normal for the rev limiter?

Isolated the microswitch in the throttle quadrant box using a zip tie to hold it shut and the cart runs fine but with the microswitch opening and closing with the throttle quadrant, when it opens the engine dies, when it closes it runs again.

No-one has played with it or done any mods to it before I took a look.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm not familiar with your cart. What I was describing was older systems..... anyway sounds like you have isolated a faulty microswitch?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car