lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2021, 11:48 PM   #1
73TA
Not Yet Wild

Default Troubleshooting no spark 2003 Gas CC

You would think this would be a easy to find answer for this, but after hours of Google searches and getting no where, I thought it would join this forum and see I could get some experts to help me this.
Anyway, I bought a 2003 CC from a local county maintenance department on a government auction site. So the cart will not start, and it was listed that way (actually all 6 carts said that the would not start. I consider myself excellent DIY'er so I dove in. It turns over just fine (battery is almost new), gets gas (gas is good, not old), and obviously has no spark, tried a different plug, same results. Google searches say to just buy a new ignitor/coil combo and try that. I figured that I would see if I could get juice to the forward and reverse micro switches (it does beep when in reverse), I assume that this controlled by the ignition switch. All the wires going to it do not have power going to them with the key in the on position or cranking for that matter. I figured that at least one the wires would. Is this normal? Doesn't seem right to me. Was considering hotwiring a jumper to the micro switches, just don't know which one would need constant power with the key on. I also can't seem to find a relay box, maybe there isn't one.
Looking for direction on where to start. Hoping that it would be $25 ignition switch verse a $125 ignitor.

Thanks
Mike
73TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2021, 06:23 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Troubleshooting no spark 2003 Gas CC

In the lower front of the motor there is a small black box that is the rev limiter, disconnect the short brown wire that is attached to the ground bolt and give it a try
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:25 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

If it's cranking the starter, those micro switches at the shifter, and in the control box, are working. The spark is supplied by a magneto type coil. It generates it's own power off of the flywheel magnet and provides that spark directly to the plug by way of the high tension wire built on to the coil. The way the engine gets stopped is a "kill wire" that shorts that ignition spark to ground, depriving the spark plug. That's a small black wire that comes out of the fan shroud under the front of the cylinder, just above the oil drain plug. If it's still stock you'll find the "RPM Limiter" (black plastic box) there above the drain plug. It works by grounding out the spark to interrupt engine running if it reads too many spark events per second. It's intended as protection to prevent over revving and damage to the engine. When those fail they often ground out the spark completely. Look for a brown wire coming off that black box and ending in an eyelet terminal under one of the bolts holding the limiter in place. disconnect that wire eyelet from chassis ground and see if you have spark then.

Last edited by meimk; 05-11-2021 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=157335
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:53 PM   #5
73TA
Not Yet Wild

Looks I forgot to mention that one of the first things I did was disconnect the ground wire from the rev limiter.

Mike
73TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:26 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Did you read the rest of my post? There’s a lot to check besides just the rev limiter...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car