lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trojan Battery Question

Sounds like he has the standard factory supplied battery meter on an RXV. It is round and has a needle. Looks like an old style gas gage in an auto. There is a aftermarket replacement that has a bar graph but also a digital readout of pack voltage. It fits in the same hole as the factory gage and is plug n play.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32401243547...yABEgJvCvD_BwE

The dash has to be removed(loosened) There is a youtube video.

The factory gage and this one are controlled by the controller on an RXV so the state of charge is what the controller "thinks" it is.

However, I'm in agreement with basshawk84 in post #3. Give the batteries some time to format (beak in) before spending any money. The Trojan Co was sold a couple or 3 years ago. I think the new company is making changes and they are starting to show themselves now. I purchased new T-875s in Feb and they reacted similar to what the OP describes. They are just now starting to perform as expected range wise.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-12-2021, 01:24 PM   #12
USCDude
Getting Wild

This is what I have. Wow, what a terrible photo. LOL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2odz4zfh35uesh/gc.jpg?dl=0
USCDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #13
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, that looks like the standard factory gage. The link I provided is a plug in replacement.
I would still wait awhile to see if your batteries start performing better for range as they build up some more charge cycles.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:38 PM   #14
USCDude
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Yes, that looks like the standard factory gage. The link I provided is a plug in replacement.
I would still wait awhile to see if your batteries start performing better for range as they build up some more charge cycles.

Thanks, I don't mind paying a few bucks for the upgraded meter. I don't want to spend 80 though!
Old 05-16-2021, 07:39 AM   #15
USCDude
Getting Wild

I have not driven the EZGO in a week and I leave it plugged in. I drove 1.5 miles last night and it lost 25% of the charge. When I got back home (another 1.5) miles it was at half power. Is that normal?

I remember on my last set it I could drive miles without it even moving from 100% power.
Old 05-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #16
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

First, leaving it plugged doesn't mean anything with the factory supplied charger. It doesn't have a maintenance mode and doesn't monitor charge. To start another charge cycle the DC cord has to be unplugged from the cart and plugged back in. This will start another charge cycle.

Second, all battery meters, power monitors, charge indicators what ever you call them on a golf cart should be assumed to be inaccurate. They should be verified and periodically crosschecked or replaced with some form of digital voltmeter either handheld and or permanently installed. Even then you have to learn to interpret what it is telling you. Not hard to do.

Get a digital hand held volt or multimeter. Walmart has a suitable one for less than $10. Drive the cart and after parking it wait about 15minutes. Find the main battery pack positive (+) and negative (-). ( where the wires from the charge port connect to the batteries) Touch the probes to those connections and read the voltage on the meter. Use the chart to determine state of charge and compare to the cart meter. Believe what the chart says.

Also, when you say new batteries, we are assuming they are all, 4 in this case, brand new, not refurbished and all matching in capacity. You have a receipt. You are recharging after use and letting the charger complete its work. Has it been unusually cold where you are?
Attached Images
File Type: png state of charge.png (183.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #17
USCDude
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
First, leaving it plugged doesn't mean anything with the factory supplied charger. It doesn't have a maintenance mode and doesn't monitor charge. To start another charge cycle the DC cord has to be unplugged from the cart and plugged back in. This will start another charge cycle.

Second, all battery meters, power monitors, charge indicators what ever you call them on a golf cart should be assumed to be inaccurate. They should be verified and periodically crosschecked or replaced with some form of digital voltmeter either handheld and or permanently installed. Even then you have to learn to interpret what it is telling you. Not hard to do.

Get a digital hand held volt or multimeter. Walmart has a suitable one for less than $10. Drive the cart and after parking it wait about 15minutes. Find the main battery pack positive (+) and negative (-). ( where the wires from the charge port connect to the batteries) Touch the probes to those connections and read the voltage on the meter. Use the chart to determine state of charge and compare to the cart meter. Believe what the chart says.

Also, when you say new batteries, we are assuming they are all, 4 in this case, brand new, not refurbished and all matching in capacity. You have a receipt. You are recharging after use and letting the charger complete its work. Has it been unusually cold where you are?
Brand new batteries. T1275 12-volt Stored in garage, No, it's been in mid 70's. Charlotte, NC
Old 05-17-2021, 07:48 PM   #18
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good advice from Kernal 👍
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:13 PM   #19
USCDude
Getting Wild

So, I took it to the beach as is and now it's only charging at 50%. I am going back down to where I have it, but I am kind of in bad shape. I don't know how to do anything mentioned in this thread. LOL

I think I have a bad battery from where I touched two terminals on accident when putting the batteries in.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:11 AM   #20
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDude View Post
So, I don't know how to do anything mentioned in this thread. LOL
You have to messure your batteries with a Digital Volt Meter ( each single batterie ) to find out what's wrong. All batteries should have the same voltage, If one is bad, you'll see that at once. If you can't do it by yourself, ask anybody to assist you.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO