lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #1
Ammit308
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 carryall front end rusted out what to replace it with

I bought a very used 2001 carryall over the summer. I'm starting to refurb the cart and as I was removing the front end to vinyl wrap it I saw how bad the front end is. I know it all pretty much needs to be replaced. My question with this is how much of the pieces will a lift kit replace? Also what kits would you recommend? The cart is used now for yard clean up but when I move it'll mostly be used on pavement only. Here is a picture of the rusty front end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210430_165644647_HDR.jpg (172.8 KB, 0 views)
Ammit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
Ammit308
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2001 carryall front end rusted out what to replace it with

So here is what I've done so far. I downloaded a carryall owners manual to get part numbers etc. To replace all the different rusted out bad items it ticked up near 550 in parts. So instead I'm buying a a arm lift kit. I found a local person selling used rims and it will actually be less to lift it. It looks like the lift kit will replace almost everything except for the "delta support tower" and shocks. There also might be some screws that'll need to be replaced that don't come with the kit. Here is another picture of how bad the rot was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210430_165652754_HDR.jpg (196.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-03-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
Noonan
Gone Wild
Club Car

I think I have one of those towers laying around somewhere if you can't find one elsewhere.
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

An A arm lift kit will replace most of that front end. If you want to lift it anyways I would just go that route. Also wtf kind of tires are on there, they look like go cart racing slicks haha.

My cart looked very similar when I got it, and the front end was a chore to get apart/ clean up. Definitely replace any bolt that you take out. Bolts are cheap just take them to the hardware and use new ones. Replace your shocks while you have it apart. I replaced my tie rod ends, tie rod, and steering u joints because I had the hood off and it was all easily accessible. Up to you but I would just do it while you're going to have the cart apart anyways.

Start today with spraying all of those rusty bolts/nuts with pb blaster or something similar. Also do the ones on your leaf springs and the U bolts on your rear axles since you're going to be taking those off when you lift it anyways. Spray them every day until you have all your parts and are ready to work on the cart. It wont hurt to get excess lubricant on there and it will only help the really rusted on stuff.

Get yourself/borrow a 3/8" impact, if not a 1/2" impact. I used a smaller 3/8" impact driver to help get my front end apart and it was a lifesaver. a 1/2" is probably over kill but I would think it would break loose anything the 3/8 wouldn't get loose. Warning: it may twist off bolts that are particularly froze up.

Possibly check your wheel bearings since you probably have the hubs off to use on your a arm kit anyways.

Don't go buy all of those front end parts new for $550. If you decide not to lift and stay stock height you can probably find take off front end parts for really cheap from all the guys that have installed lift kits. I know that I threw an entire front end away that was perfectly fine, and I'm sure there are more people that have held onto them. I still have the one off of my carryall (same as DS) and its as rusty as yours or Id offer it to you way cheaper than $550. Same with stock size tires, you can those on craigslist for $10 a piece
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It’s looks like they parked it in the ocean for a few days.

How bad are the rear springs and rear axle?

The main tower that everything bolts to isnt included in any lift kit, so that and bolts would be the main things you need to but new, if you were to install an A-arm kit.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:06 PM   #6
Ammit308
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the offer Noonan. I already ordered one and received it Sunday.
Lots of good ideas on that now cart. I didn't think about trying to pb blast anything. I'd normally wait and try and get stuff low priced as possible but I'm moving within a month and want to have this finished quick. I have the lift kit ordered and should be here in a week or two. The tires aren't racing slicks or bald either. The previous life of my golf cart was in tending to a golf course green or a clay tennis court. It was modified by giliberti and had this large heavy drum that would pop up under the rear tires to Flatten the ground. The tires are flat and about 2 inches wider to prevent damage to the surface. The linear actuator that used to move the drum I repurposed to lift the dump bed. It's been pretty handy.

I live near the ocean so maybe it was what killed it. The rear springs are ok ish and the axle has rust but is serviceable for now. The cart was cheap and had new batteries so here I am. I have the tower and a arm lift kit on the way! Here's another photo for everyone contributing so far. Thank you!
Old 05-03-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
Ammit308
Not Yet Wild

Here's the new tower. Fresh!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210503_214920832.jpg (164.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-04-2021, 07:17 AM   #8
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammit308 View Post
Here's the new tower. Fresh!
You can see the steering U joints are rusty as all get out too, might be worth trying to replace while you can easily get to them as well. just a thought.

Not sure what kind of lift kit you bought but to make it a faster install i would figure out what bolts you have to re use off of the cart, and buying those and having the new ones before you start the install so when the old rusty ones come out (via wrench, grinder, breaking off, etc) you can pop new ones in and get the install done)

I've been spraying my cart down with pb blaster and / or wd-40 once every ten days or so on all the rusty hardware (stuff i couldn't replace easily, rear end bolts, motor bolts/nuts, rear brake hardware, etc) and it has really helped the rust situation. it knocks some rust off and penetrates the rust stopping the spread quite a bit in my opinion, similar to hot oiling a truck body. As my cart doesn't see salt or fertilizer anymore, I just replaced any other bolt/hardware that I could get to and it makes working on it much nicer.
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car