lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
JoeMX82
Not Yet Wild

Default Question on Max amp draw limits of lead acid batteries

I have a 48v 2016 precedent on 23x11 with the Navitas 5kw 600amp controller set up. Batteries are also new. My question is that in my dealer app on the navitas controller the default is 200 amps for max draw and if I increase that figure it gives me a warning about battery warranty. Not that I care about my warranty but looking to understand impacts of shifting that 200 to 250 or 300? I know this would only be for limited bursts as I use the cart for some off-roading so looking for more boost on sandy hills or short steep climbs. Any help or guidance is appreciated.
JoeMX82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
Alex D
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Question on Max amp draw limits of lead acid batteries

Alex D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #3
Alex D
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Too bad ... no input yet. I was wondering the same. But I am calling Navitas tomorrow on an unrelated item and will ask them.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:55 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I see lead acid batteries used in older electric cars, no issue. I've never heard anyone ask but I think nobody asks because it isn't a problem. I was just looking at the 1918 Detroit Electric, it used two banks of 21 lead acid cells each for power. They were lead plates sitting in a bath of acid, held in place by wood and the entire thing surrounded by thick rubber. Pretty wild.

Back to your question, people use lead acid to power electric vehicle conversion, 700 amp golf carts and all kinds of whatnot. I cant imagine a 600 amp Navitas killing your batteries
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:22 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I've looked at hundreds of Alltrax monitor files. These files are collected while the cart is in use so we can see things like Motor amperage draw relative to battery voltage, throttle position, and motor temps. I have rarely seen much activity in excess of 350 amps draw and then only for a few seconds even on the biggest motors with the biggest tires against the biggest hills etc. So for healthy lead acid go ahead and set the limit up higher. We set our Alltrax controls to 450 (sepex) all day long. And we let the series carts run wild, meaning 570 to 680 limits which they never ever ever hit but over-spec and headroom has it's long run benefits. I hope this helps. GL with the Navitas.
Alltrax rules
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:04 PM   #6
Alex D
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I have my Navitas controller set at 450 amps max. and the cart still does not exceed 200 amps peak draw when data logging.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #7
ousuxndallas
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Scotty,

I have a 48v (12v x 4) 2006 Precedent that has an Alltrax 400 amp controller (installed by a previous owner). Cart runs awesome offroad, and on pavement. Lots of torque.

My battery pack is about to give out, and I'm considering a 48v lithium pack (Evolution or RoyPow). Will there be any issues with the Alltrax controller if I make the switch?

Also, for offroad use, how big a pack should I purchase? 100Ah? 150?

I appreciate your help. As an aside, I'm about to refurb my dad's Precedent for street use, and will be coming to you for the Alltrax, cables, etc.
ousuxndallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!