lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
BobInOK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Replacement cables

Wondering what the least expensive way to replace all the battery cables on a 36 volt electric is. Buy the cable and terminals or buy a premade set? Lots of choices on premades on eBay for around $100.00. if buying the cable and terminals best bet on where to buy?
BobInOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Replacement cables

Everyone uses welding cables. 6 gauge is standard. 2g for extreme upgrades. Amazon will have everything you need.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #3
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Amazon for the copper terminal ends and if you have a Tractor Supply nearby they have the welding cable by the foot. They sell two gauges, the lighter is like a 6ga and the heavier is not quite 2ga Its kinda between 2ga and 4ga. Either should work fine unless you have lots of upgrades and need MAX Amps. Tractor Supply has the ends but usually just a couple in stock.
Get the cabe first and then get the Copper terminals to match the cable.
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:26 AM   #4
BobInOK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the tips, found a 4ga kit on Amazon. 30 feet of wire and 10 lugs for just over $50.00. went ahead and ordered additional lugs just to make sure I had enough. 10 lugs wouldn't go very far when you need 8 just for the motor leads.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:38 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Don't forget to have\get a good crimp tool. I have an impact one like in this pic. Works very well. One good hit and the crimp is done. Then solder and finally, use shrink wrap tubing. Don't forget to slide on the shrink wrap before you put the crimp end on. (Ask me how I know)

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:07 AM   #6
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Don't forget to slide on the shrink wrap before you put the crimp end on. (Ask me how I know)
OMG.... How many times, you get a good grove going and - DEAD STOP!!!!
*****, *****, *****..... HAHA!
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:51 AM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I know you've already ordered but for anyone else, Don't waste your time making them.
Contact Scottyb on here and he will send you a premeasured, preassembled set and you just install and not worry if you crimped them correctly!!!
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:22 PM   #8
BobInOK
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Brought the crimping tool way back when I replaced the cables on my Cushman. Back then my business was buying and didn't pay allot of attention as to what it cost. Also spent most of my life as an electronics tech, pretty good at soldering even though I say so myself :)

Bought a Melex 512 for cheap because it has a problem, hoping new c!ables will solve most of the issues. Has fairly new batteries and new tires which alone are worth more than I have in it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts