lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
Bbr
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Transmission governor

I did 670 swap on my yamaha cart, and i noticed that the rear was spitting oil out the vent, since i go thru puddles sometimes and lots of sand, i put a barbed fotting in amd ran a hose up to top of shock mount. Noticed that it is still puking oil out. Does the governor arm have something to do with this? It's not in use but, i have it tied to what would be wide open.
Bbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Transmission governor

First thing I'd look at would be your oil level. If you go through puddles, maybe you got some water in the trans though the vent, happens all the time. That would raise the volume and make it spit oil. Also the oil would be a milky color.

The governor arm will have nothing to do with the oil issue.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
Bbr
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Is ok for the governor arm to be tied open? I'll check oil may have water... Its leaking out of gov arm hole now too
Old 04-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

What you're talking about is the "zip tie mod" and lots of people do it. Is it supposed to be that way? No. Is it safe? No. Is it reliable? No. But if you want more speed that's the way people do it. The risk of running speeds in excess of what the governor will support is that you could damage the internal governor parts and something could let loose, and then bye bye tranny. Most golf carts are meant to run 12-15mph with the governor.

If you're having oil seep out of the top of the trans, it has way too much fluid in there. I'm betting either over filled with oil, or a mix of oil and water. Either situation is bad.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

IMHO The first step should be to drain all the oil out and IF it is a Yamaha G2- first year G 14 put the factory correct 800 cc of 90 wt oil and see what happens.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #6
Bbr
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Oil was over full came gushing out when i pulled plug. On the governor should i remove it internally? Its not in use anymore due to motor swap. Not looking
Old 05-11-2021, 09:28 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Yes if you no longer use the governor removing the parts is the best option for avoiding internal damage from an exploded governor assembly. These have been known to come apart after so many high speed runs. The parts were never designed for high speed operation, only 20 mph or less.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
Bbr
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Ok well nows the best time to take it apart since the motor sled snapped. Have to pull motor and rear... Any special tools or tips i need to know when taking it apart and putting together? Im guessing i just block the hole left from the arm with a nut and bolt. Would it be worth locking the rear in possi while im in there? I do some road and off-road riding
Old 05-12-2021, 09:25 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I'd make sure you have a service manual if you've never done this. Even diagrams help a ton to make sure you know what you're looking at.

I would not weld the spider gears in the diff, too much stress on road. If there is a locking diff/limited slip type available that would be good for off roading.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!