lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2021, 12:19 AM   #1
Dyrayccds
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Exclamation Club Car DS Lithium Ion

Aloha All,
I own a 2002 club car ds that was a total rebuild. I recently purchased two 48v lithium ion batteries. They will be run in parallel. The seller claims I can use my lead acid charger as I have bought the BMS add ons for both batteries. I just purchased a brand new OBC and Powerdrive charger. He claims I won’t have to bypass anything and it will be plug and play, everything I read tells me opposite. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Mahalo
Dyrayccds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2021, 04:55 AM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car DS Lithium Ion

You ABSOLUTELY cannot use the lead acid charger for lithium ion batteries. You will need to bypass the OBC with an aftermarket charger. You should do a bit of reading or find a more knowledgeable (or honest) seller.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:51 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Pat is correct. Buy a lithium charger. Did you use the allied 48v batteries or a home brew?

Sell your OBC and OEM charger and recoup some of the $. You can’t use them anymore.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #4
Dyrayccds
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Has great reviews and others I know who have used him. They are the VOLT system batteries
Old 04-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #5
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you buy them out of Livermore and on eBay?
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
emoney
Not Yet Wild

Well, he may be correct. If he built those batteries out of Li-Ion and they're 14S config, what's he's saying is they can be charged to 57.4volts and that keeps each cell at or below 4.1 which many manufacturers say is "max charge" and he's convinced his BMS will stop charging towards EoC. If, however, he is just a reseller and doesn't really know much about the battery or the bms etc, then I wouldn't feel safe trusting it because a standard 48v golf cart charger at end of charge is 60 volts which could push those cells to 4.28v. End of the day, you need to know more. Do the batteries come with a way for you to monitor the BMS during charge/discharge?
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

If it the guy out of Livermore, he seems very sharp and understands the system (I was told he built the first Lithium pack in a VW Bug and sold it to Musk before he was really up and running with Tesla. He tells a great story if nothing else!). I bought his BMS (overpriced and I have been told they are more of a "cell balancer" than a true BMS).

He tried to convince me that my brand new Lester Summit II would work with his BMS but I just couldn't convince myself (and got a lot of great input here to further convince me!) so I ordered a custom profile Schauer.

I am very happy with my setup but it was a huge learning experience and not (for me) easy when trying to sift through all the noise (like if a certain charger would work).
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:37 PM   #8
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

It’s not just about the maximum voltage. Lead acid chargers have a totally different charging algorithm, switching between different stages at different points during the charge cycle. Lithium batteries need a current limited constant voltage supply. Very different configurations. Anything else is a compromise and will shorten the life of the lithium battery.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #9
Dyrayccds
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks all. Yes it is the guy from Livermore seems like he knows, ended up just purchasing the charger he sells with it. I’m still guessing I will have to bypass the OBC. Any advice simi from your experience?
Old 04-22-2021, 07:54 PM   #10
garolittle
Not Yet Wild

Agree with the others. Always use a lithium ion charger for lithium batteries.
garolittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium, obc, powerdeive
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car