lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-13-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
RansomedCarts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G2 engine swap questions

Hey all,

I acquired a Yamaha G2 cart a while back. Had some issues with the original engine ( push rod broke, bad smoking, etc). That engine is no longer in working order and its time for something new. I'm wanting to do an engine swap. I'm looking for ideas for the best engine swap. I would like to find something that is somewhat easy to put in with out a ton of fabricating needs. We live in the country. The cart already has about a 6 in lift kit on it with larger a/t tires. My kiddos are still pretty young, so I'm looking for either lower hp or being able to limit top speed pretty easily while they are driving it around. The cart will also be used for country road driving and possibly some trail riding (nothing too crazy). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have limited mechanical knowledge, but I'm not scared to learn and try anything. Thanks in advance.
RansomedCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G2 engine swap questions

Take a look at Vegascarts site and see what suits you. Also plenty of info in the big block sections here in BGW.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:57 PM   #3
RansomedCarts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, So I have decided to just go with a Preditor 670 and get the kit from VC. Any installation tips or anything you guys would recommend. I'm going to take my time with this project, and I'll try to take pics to share along the way. Any advice for taking on this project would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #4
RansomedCarts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Strike that, I got a good deal on a vangaurd 23hp v-twin, so I'm going that route. Any advice on install or other threads with tips? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by RansomedCarts View Post
Strike that, I got a good deal on a vangaurd 23hp v-twin, so I'm going that route. Any advice on install or other threads with tips? Thanks.
If you don't want to do any fabrication, look at getting a complete kit. CPP sells one. I think they will sell the kit without the engine. It's a bolt in kit, and that cart is fairly easy to work on.

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/vanguar...amaha-g-2-9-14

I did a 23 Vanguard in my G1, and I've done a couple G2/G9 Vanguard carts too. Let me know if you need any assistance, glad to help.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #6
RansomedCarts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Slonomo. I'll keep you guys posted. I'm not looking to do any fabricating, so bolt in would be best. I'm chatting with Bruce over at CPP about options.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Subscribed
Old 05-31-2022, 12:52 PM   #8
RansomedCarts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, after way too long of a break, I’m back on this build. I have most everything on its way or ready to put in. Now to work on wiring this 23hp vanguard. I’m very new to making an engine harness and the engine I bought, pretty much has no harness wires. It was a test engine from Briggs That was used for emissions and then sold at discount to employee. Anyone have a tutorial or step by step how to make a harness and wire in a key switch and all that. I need to go buy the wiring stuff today and the key switch, but I’m wanting to make sure I know what all to get before I go to the store. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:43 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

There's really not much to it. For my builds I like to use color coded wires to avoid confusion. Red, Black, Yellow, Blue, Green, Orange usually gets the job done, but you can use some colors with strips of black tape on them. Example yellow with black stripes, or blue with black stripes, gives you more flexability.

One tip would be to use a good pro quality crimper and use connectors with shrink tubing on them. Or solder your connections and use shrink sleeves.

Typically you just have several basic wires to get an engine to start with a key switch, you'll want a Briggs style tractor switch:
Red = power from battery+
Black = Ground -
Yellow = from switch to starter solenoid (start circuit)
Green = key on power (accessory like radio or power outlet)
Blue = key on power (accessory to headlights)
Orange = kill (goes to ground, wire to lug on side of engine)

On the engine you'll have:

kill wire = this gets wired to your switch and grounds the ignition to kill it

charge wire = this is usually a yellow wire coming off the engines voltage reg, this will need to get routed back to the battery through the switch so that it shuts off power when the key is off

low oil sensor wire = this gets wired to ground and will kill the ignition when oil is low

I like to use 6 awg stranded copper wire for the battery cables, and ground the battery to one of the engine bolts. Using thicker wire will allow the starter to work better.

I don't usually make a "harness" I just run all the wires individually one at a time and avoid large bundles of extra wire, only what you need. Then after it's all done and you've tested it all out, tape the sections together neatly and use friction tape or split loom to conceal everything.

Make sure all of your power wires have fuses on them. Some people even like to use a fuse block to terminate all of their wires to, it does make a nice clean install.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:06 PM   #10
RansomedCarts
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Slonomo. Super helpful.

Any advice on setting up the throttle cable for the cart to the motor. Pics would be super helpful if anyone has any. This engine has a throttle currently set up for like a generator where you just turn it up or down manually. Any advice here would be super helpful. I'll send some time combing through other posts as well. Thank you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha