lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2021, 09:40 PM   #1
dalepmay
Not Yet Wild

Default Tow/Run switch has to be toggled all the time to continue driving

I have a 2008 Yamaha YDRE, bought used about a year ago, I know nothing about it's past maintenance. At random times while driving, almost always while accelerating from a stop, there will be a click, and everything stops working. I have to toggle the switch to Tow, then back to Run, in order to make it work again. I replaced the switch thinking it was the issue, and it still does it with the brand new one. I even bypassed the switch with a straight wire and had to then disconnect and reconnect that wire to continue operation. Any idea what I need to check to troubleshoot? I know nothing about these, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
dalepmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Tow/Run switch has to be toggled all the time to continue driving

I'm afraid that the most likely cause is a problem with the controller. Not much else that it could be.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #3
Ryokuro
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Are those the Moric controllers on those things? They're not great in my opinion. Sounds like it's time for an upgrade to an Alltrax or Navitas...
Ryokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
dalepmay
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I'm afraid that the most likely cause is a problem with the controller. Not much else that it could be.
That's what I was afraid of. I've looked up a couple online, and not thrilled about the cost, but it is what it is. What are some good models I should consider?
Old 03-16-2021, 12:15 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you go for a new controller, I would go with Alltrax - either the 400Amp or 500Amp. I have two of them and they are way better than the stock Moric controller. You can program it for what ever speed you want and lots of other stuff. It's a drop in replacement. The 500 Amp one has a cooling fan. You need to order the correct model for your YDRE cart - so that you get the right plug connection. The stock Moric controllers are fairly prone to failure - although I have not heard of the failure mode you are seeing.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:05 PM   #6
dalepmay
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
If you go for a new controller, I would go with Alltrax - either the 400Amp or 500Amp. I have two of them and they are way better than the stock Moric controller. You can program it for what ever speed you want and lots of other stuff. It's a drop in replacement. The 500 Amp one has a cooling fan. You need to order the correct model for your YDRE cart - so that you get the right plug connection. The stock Moric controllers are fairly prone to failure - although I have not heard of the failure mode you are seeing.
Thanks for the info!
Old 03-16-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wait this is what happens when a Yamaha has a weak or bad battery also I wouldn't just go get a controller...what year are your batteries? If the pack voltage drops under hard acceleration the controller will throw a fault until reset (flipping run/tow) switch...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
Wait this is what happens when a Yamaha has a weak or bad battery also I wouldn't just go get a controller...what year are your batteries? If the pack voltage drops under hard acceleration the controller will throw a fault until reset (flipping run/tow) switch...
Good point. I would check batteries AND connections between them before declaring the controller bad.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
dalepmay
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
That's interesting. The batteries I know are pretty old, but they seem to still hold a charge and work fine as far as I can tell. I put a 48v battery meter in and it all looks good. The easiest way to reproduce the issue is when the parking brake is on, and I tap the gas to release it, if I don't continue moving at the same time, and just tap it to release and immediately let off, about 50% of the time it will trip, and I have to cycle the switch to continue. It does it when the break releases and the cart rolls slightly without acceleration. This makes me think it's something with the roll-away system/sensor, but I don't have any prior experience with these, so I'm kind of just making assumptions.

Side note/question, has anyone put a single Lithium Ion battery in one of these? I've seen the Roypow 51V battery in a neighbor's cart, but those things are pricey.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:43 PM   #10
dalepmay
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Good point. I would check batteries AND connections between them before declaring the controller bad.
Now that I think about it.....when I first got the cart (last September) it did this a lot, then I topped off the water in the batteries (it has an easy fill system installed thank god!). After filling them it stopped doing it for a number of months. Now it started again, and I'm in Texas, where the temps in the garage got to near zero not too long ago, and I haven't checked the batteries' water level. This might be an easier fix than I thought!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha