lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #11
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: RoyPow problems

Prime is the worst...they're local to me and I went there once...never again. I would not hold your breath for resolution.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #12
Gadgetman111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
Maybe I’m miss interpreting, but you should connect the charger directly to the Roypow pack. Attachment 216877

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I connected the charging port directly to the battery and it charged just fine.

ALSO...

I may have solved the mystery by disconnecting the stock battery gauge. With the stock gauge installed, I could only drive about 1/2 mile before the low charge beep. With the gauge disconnected, I was able to drive continuously for 20 minutes and my cheap Amazon gauge still shows 100%. I’ll try a longer test tomorrow.

My theory is that since the RoyPow gauge connects to the pack via a Rs485 cable there is an exchange of data between the gauge and the BMS in the battery pack. It looks to me that the gauge has malfunctioned and is sending erroneous data back to the BMS. When the BMS gets a low voltage signal sent back to it from the gauge, it shuts down even though there is still plenty of charge (like 100%) remaining.

Now I just need to track down a new RoyPow SOC gauge to test my theory. Feeling hopeful that I won’t need to replace the pack.

I’ll update again after more testing
Gadgetman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
Prime is the worst...they're local to me and I went there once...never again. I would not hold your breath for resolution.
Are they on eBay as pennyriver or something like that?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Be careful here. If only one cell is crapping out the BMS will shut you down and the SOC gauge may not tell the whole story. Unless you can monitor the individual cell voltages, you can't be sure you don't have a battery problem.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:52 PM   #15
Gadgetman111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Are they on eBay as pennyriver or something like that?

Yes, penny river

Avoid
Old 02-19-2021, 10:02 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman111 View Post
Yes, penny river

Avoid
I dealt with them once. Took a case with eBay and PayPal before they finally even responded. Even then they were less than cooperative before refunding me. I will never buy anything from them again.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:13 PM   #17
Gadgetman111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Contacted RoyPow thru their Facebook page. They responded right away. The western rep is supposed to be in AZ in a few weeks and I hope to meet with him to resolve the issue. Hopefully it’s just a bad gauge.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:18 PM   #18
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I’ll be watching to see what happens with this.. Probably going to have to replace one of my packs soon and just found out that there is a Roy Pow dealer on the other side of Augusta from me.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:28 PM   #19
Gadgetman111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Drove over 10 miles today with the cheap battery meter from Amazon. Took it down to about 50% battery. Charged it up to full in just under 2 hours. Everything seems normal. I’ll take it out on the course for 18 holes tomorrow. Pretty confident it will do fine. Hopefully I will be able to replace the original battery meter eventually.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:47 AM   #20
Gadgetman111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Battery has been working fine. Played several 18 hole rounds without issue. I’ve been a bit paranoid with the cheap-o battery meter since I have the volt limits set at 53.0 and 50.5. I get a decent dip in percentage under load even though the voltage is above 51. I just ordered a better monitor (Renogy) with a 500a shunt so I can get a more accurate display of remaining capacity in Amp-hours. Should have it installed by the end of the week, then I’ll post an update.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car