lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
Gadgetman111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default RoyPow problems

I have a 4 month old RoyPow 51v 56Ah lithium pack in my 2001 Club Car DS. Stock motor and controller. I did not bypass the OBC. I’m using the stock charging port with the smart charger from RoyPow.

I play golf about 4 times a week and typically do not let the battery go below 50% before recharging. The pack has been outstanding... until yesterday.

I had about 70% battery showing when I started driving home from the course (I live on the 2nd hole, so about a mile away). Suddenly the motor cut out and the battery meter was blank. I pressed the reset button and the meter showed one flashing bar. I was close enough to the house to push it into the garage. At first it would not charge. When I cycled the power switch on the pack it started charging. It started at one bar, but after 5 minutes it jumped up to 6 bars and I let it fully charge until the charger cut out.

The next morning it still showed a full 10 bars. I took it out for a drive and noticed the state of charge meter starting to drop as I drove. I made it around the block about 1/2 mile before I got the “beep” at 2 bars. Once again it would not charge until a cycled the power switch on the pack. It charged again to full in about 10 minutes.

I tried disconnecting my charging port and 12v transformer but got the same dramatic drop over 1/2 mile. I contacted RoyPow and they advised me to contact my dealer. I purchased on the internet from a shop in Florida and I live n Arizona. I contacted my seller, but have not heard back.

I suspect it is a problem with the BMS. Volt meter shows 51.6v static, but I haven’t tried to measure under load. I’m pretty sure if I crack open the case to see the BMS I’ll be voiding the warranty and as this forum knows, there is NO documentation available from RoyPow on this pack.

Thanks for reading all this. Any insight will be helpful. Otherwise I’m stuck without a cart while I hunt down a possible warranty claim

Mike
Gadgetman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2021, 09:15 PM   #2
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: RoyPow problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman111 View Post
I have a 4 month old RoyPow 51v 56Ah lithium pack in my 2001 Club Car DS. Stock motor and controller. I did not bypass the OBC. I’m using the stock charging port with the smart charger from RoyPow.

I play golf about 4 times a week and typically do not let the battery go below 50% before recharging. The pack has been outstanding... until yesterday.

I had about 70% battery showing when I started driving home from the course (I live on the 2nd hole, so about a mile away). Suddenly the motor cut out and the battery meter was blank. I pressed the reset button and the meter showed one flashing bar. I was close enough to the house to push it into the garage. At first it would not charge. When I cycled the power switch on the pack it started charging. It started at one bar, but after 5 minutes it jumped up to 6 bars and I let it fully charge until the charger cut out.

The next morning it still showed a full 10 bars. I took it out for a drive and noticed the state of charge meter starting to drop as I drove. I made it around the block about 1/2 mile before I got the “beep” at 2 bars. Once again it would not charge until a cycled the power switch on the pack. It charged again to full in about 10 minutes.

I tried disconnecting my charging port and 12v transformer but got the same dramatic drop over 1/2 mile. I contacted RoyPow and they advised me to contact my dealer. I purchased on the internet from a shop in Florida and I live n Arizona. I contacted my seller, but have not heard back.

I suspect it is a problem with the BMS. Volt meter shows 51.6v static, but I haven’t tried to measure under load. I’m pretty sure if I crack open the case to see the BMS I’ll be voiding the warranty and as this forum knows, there is NO documentation available from RoyPow on this pack.

Thanks for reading all this. Any insight will be helpful. Otherwise I’m stuck without a cart while I hunt down a possible warranty claim

Mike
On a full charge you should be seeing 53-53.5v even an hour or so after unplugging the charger. If the 51.6v was right after charging, it could indicate a weak cell or BMS issue, as you've already surmised. You could monitor pack voltage as you drive (draw more current) and see if there is appreciable voltage drop, which would at least give you more information to convey to RoyPow. Normally, when I had my 105ah RoyPow, there was only about a max 2 volt drop at 100% SOC even under full acceleration.

If there is no other issue that possibly developed coincidentally with your motor or controller (seems rather unlikely) then you probably will need to let RoyPow address it as planned.

I think RoyPow will make it right for you. Good luck and please report back what you find out.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:17 PM   #3
Gadgetman111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Just checked the pack (static) and it shows 53.3v. And fully charged. I turned it off and will leave it off over night. I’ll give it another spin in the morning. I hope to hear from my dealer tomorrow. I was considering bypassing the OBC but I will wait until I hear something from the seller.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:14 AM   #4
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Yikes, that's frustrating. What dealer did you purchase from?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:59 AM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You refer to OBC and smart charger from Roypow.....You should have the wires from the Roypow charger connected directly to the battery pack. If you are running it thru something else before the pack, I suspect there is your problem. It normally takes at least an hour to 4-5 hours to charge the pack (depending on how low it is.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
You refer to OBC and smart charger from Roypow.....You should have the wires from the Roypow charger connected directly to the battery pack. If you are running it thru something else before the pack, I suspect there is your problem. It normally takes at least an hour to 4-5 hours to charge the pack (depending on how low it is.
I didn't notice that you still had an OBC in there - yes, that could be an issue and it shouldn't be in there, but it is odd that it was working fine for so long with it still in there.
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:11 PM   #7
Gadgetman111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I purchased the pack from Prime Golf Cars of West Palm Beach, FL. Haven’t heard back from them yet.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:53 AM   #8
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Brad View Post
You should connect the Roypow provided charger directly to battery pack...not thru OBC to see if this remedies the problem. It should not be run thru your old OBC or BMS.
Old 02-19-2021, 02:01 PM   #9
Gadgetman111
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Bypassed the OBC.

Cut the gray wire at the charge port
Cut the black wire at the OBC and connected directly to neg batt

Charging issue is fixed. I no longer have to cycle the battery on/off for it to charge.
But battery still draining rapidly (or at least indicating a drain)

Spliced the white and blue wire on the 6 pin connector to the OBC. Still have the same drainage issue.

Ran the cart down to 1 bar and the 2nd warning beep. Hooked up the charger and it went to full charge in about 10 minutes.

I have a 3rd party State of charge meter on the way from Amazon. Want to check if maybe my gauge is malfunctioning because while the gauge says the battery is depleted, it obviously is not if it recharges in 10 minutes.

Still no contact with Prime Golf Cars of West Pam Beach. If the gauge thing doesn’t pan out, I’ll probably beg a local cart dealer to help me out with a possible warranty claim with RoyPow, otherwise I’m thinking of switching to the Allied 48v 30Ah x 2 parallel set up.

Guess I’ll hold off on new golf clubs for now...
Old 02-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #10
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Maybe I’m miss interpreting, but you should connect the charger directly to the Roypow pack. IMG_1773.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car