lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2021, 02:20 PM   #1
amazingjose
Not Yet Wild

Default Cushman Turf Truckster

I'm working on a 2003 Cushman Turf Truckster. Car is a model 898673 with a Perkins Liquid Cooled DIESEL Engine. This diesel engine has 3 cylinders. 22.3 Horsepower.

I'm having trouble getting the car to start. It cranks but it doesn't start. There's diesel in the injectors, power in the injection pump as well as in the glow plugs. Has anyone experienced similar problems to mine? How did you fix them? Any advice is appreciated.
Last thing, how does one check the engine's compression?

Thank you!
amazingjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cushman Turf Truckster

I would lean toward air in system. Only a guess though because I don't know the history of this engine. You let one run out of fuel and sometimes its a real pain.

You need a special compression tester . I don't know the compression numbers but probably in the 400-600 psi range.

Never use starting fluid to crank one or engine damage will happen.

Again I would be checking for air in the system first if your fuel is fresh.

Maybe this will help. I do have a manual but not sure how to upload it here. Here are the two pages that might be of help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleed diesel.jpg (229.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg More on diesel bleeding.jpg (95.0 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:56 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

My first suggestion is the same as Trig's, Air in the fuel line somewhere. First as Trigs note says, bleed the system until no air comes from the bleed valve (EDIT) (if no or little fuel comes out see my comment at the end) and tighten the valve then try to start it. If no go, you need to check the glow plug circuit. Put a test lamp on the wire feeding the glow plugs (commonly white or brown on a cushman )to see if you get power to the plugs when you turn the ignition on if it has an automatic timed heater. If you have a separate position on the key switch for heat, then turn the key to this position and check for power at the heaters. If you have power. you need to check each glow plug. Remove the feed wire and the link wires or bus bar connecting the glow plugs together and using an ohmeter, look for around 1/2 to 1 ohm on each plug. If this is all good, then it is probably the "start / run" solenoid has burned out. You should find this on the back of the injection pump just rear of the bleed valve. it will probably be held on with two 10mm bolts or hex bolts. remove the bolts and pull out the solenoid. If no solenoid, then it may be a cable shut off system. On the side of the pump may be two control cables. One for throttle and one for stop. make sure this is in the correct position for starting. Back to the solenoid. Most diesel engines will have the manual control anyway but without a cable connected. Make sure it has not jammed in the off position, and moves freely by hand (should return by a spring). Now you can see if the engine starts without the solenoid fitted. If it does, you will be able to shut off the engine with the manual lever and then come back here to see what to do next as you need to then diagnose if the solenoid is burned, or the power to the solenoid is missing. As a clue, if the solenoid has three wires, it is probably the pull side blown, the run part is usually ok, but you need pull to be working to open the fuel slide for starting. Once started the hold side takes over and power drops off the pull wire. There are also 2 wire and single wire solenoids used and i don't know which type you have.

In the meantime i will see if i can find a manual for your model to check if it has electric or manual fuel lift pump for priming/bleeding. Having said all this, it may just be a clogged fuel filter. or air in one of the filters. You should find two, one small inline canister or paper filter between the tank and electric pump with an on/off tap, (Check this is on LOL ) and one large element type between the electric pump and injector pump with another bleed valve. (EDIT) I just noticed Trigs image of the filters LOL.

Hope this helps.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:40 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I found this for you.

https://www.jacobsen.com/manuals/4120402.pdf

I hope its the right one, says it covers model 898673.

It looks like the fuel solenoid is a single wire and is on all the time the ignition is on, so easy to check for power there! Im not sure how this one is fixed on, or if it can be removed to run the engine so my description earlier may be incorrect. Might be worth checking the electric fuel pump for power. You should here it thump as soon as you turn the ignition on and then pulse. If it is loud, it may be struggling to pull fuel through a dirty pre filter, if it goes quiet after a few seconds, its probably good. See if you get fuel pumping out of the main filter bleed screw If air comes out keep bleeding till only fuel comes out, close the screw and then bleed any air out of the injection pump lines.

If you have no power to the pump and solenoid, there may be a blown 20 amp fuse from the ignition circuit.

I will wait to hear from you before going any further.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
amazingjose
Not Yet Wild

You're right, the cylinder compression is 425 PSI with a compression ratio of 23:1. I will look into this. I'm working on this car with a friend - it's actually his car. Thank you for your help!

Edit: This reply is for trig123

Last edited by amazingjose; 01-27-2021 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Reply
Old 01-27-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
amazingjose
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I found this for you.

https://www.jacobsen.com/manuals/4120402.pdf

I hope its the right one, says it covers model 898673.

It looks like the fuel solenoid is a single wire and is on all the time the ignition is on, so easy to check for power there! Im not sure how this one is fixed on, or if it can be removed to run the engine so my description earlier may be incorrect. Might be worth checking the electric fuel pump for power. You should here it thump as soon as you turn the ignition on and then pulse. If it is loud, it may be struggling to pull fuel through a dirty pre filter, if it goes quiet after a few seconds, its probably good. See if you get fuel pumping out of the main filter bleed screw If air comes out keep bleeding till only fuel comes out, close the screw and then bleed any air out of the injection pump lines.

If you have no power to the pump and solenoid, there may be a blown 20 amp fuse from the ignition circuit.

I will wait to hear from you before going any further.
I am grateful for the thoroughness in your reply. I will look into this further and keep you both updated. Thank you

Tags
cushman, diesel, perkins, truckster
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts