lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
dlwilson
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default longitudinal axle cart?

I would like to mount a larger electric motor in my cart, and the only way I can see to do it is longitudinally.

A couple years ago I bought a large motor and controller and other parts used in an electric Miata conversion that was being parted out. I planned to put them in a VW bus, but ultimately built an engine for the bus. Now I have this motor in my garage, and I keep thinking about using it in a cart. The diameter is too large to mount it on a regular golf cart axle where the motor is parallel to the axle. I think it would work in a longitudinal configuration with a short driveshaft with u-joints at each end. The below photo shows the motor attached to a plate and flywheel, with a cradle that has motor mounts to bolt into a Miata. The pulley on the other end is for AC. I would use the motor with just the plate.

I've been looking for a golf cart-sized axle that would work. I've seen them in Honda three wheelers, and I've looked at a Miata IRS differential, but both of those would take a lot of fab work.

But I recently saw pictures of an older three wheel cart that has that motor configuration. Does anybody know what kind that is? Or do you have an alternative suggestion for running a large motor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2960.jpg (356.8 KB, 0 views)
dlwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2021, 02:46 PM   #2
morvolts2
Gone Wild

Default Re: longitudinal axle cart?

many years ago I read that Frank Currie of Currie Enterprises got his start on 9 inch Ford rear ends from industrial carts. Im betting someone like Taylor Dunn or Cushman has made something like you are looking for.
morvolts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
dlwilson
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvolts2 View Post
many years ago I read that Frank Currie of Currie Enterprises got his start on 9 inch Ford rear ends from industrial carts. Im betting someone like Taylor Dunn or Cushman has made something like you are looking for.
Thanks, I'll keep looking. I google'd just now to try to find the picture I had seen, and I didn't realize it was on this board, here: https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=65645

The thread says it's a 1977 Marathon 3 wheel cart. I guess if I can find one I could swap the axle to my cart, and weld up a frame to hold my motor. Or build a two wheel front end like this guy, although that's more fab than I want to do.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
smackley
Getting Wild

There were many 2 stroke gas carts that used an axle like you describe. I have an old ezgo that is set up that way. You'd have to custom fab a mount and input shaft interface, but with a large motor like you are describing, that's in the cards anyways.

You could still use a side mounted transaxle design by rigging up some gearing (possibly some sprockets from a small case differential). Welding and metal fab will be your friends in this project.

You could put a pulley/clutch on the motor output shaft as well I suppose. Also give aliexpress.com a search for small transaxles.

Lots of options here, and your project sounds like a fun one. Best of luck!
smackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
dlwilson
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for your input. You are right about the side-mounted transaxle. If I knew CAD I think I could design a single piece in SolidWorks to be CNC machined, which would bolt to the axle and to the motor, and contain a couple gears, shafts, and bearings to transfer power.

I'll keep looking on eBay. Currently there are a couple Taylor-Dunn axles on there, but they look really heavy and they have an offset driveshaft. Hopefully I can find one more like the above photo.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #6
kenhouser
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

not sure what you are looking for.
old ezgo 2 stroke cart been setting a while.
i bought o make a trailer to pull behing mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210111_124558.jpg (408.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210111_124608.jpg (310.8 KB, 0 views)
kenhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The gas harley carts should work for you purpose and some times can be bought cheap with bad engines.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:21 AM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

my buddies Taylor Dunn has the axle you want, complete with the belt pulley on the front. Also has 5 lug wheels and hydraulic brakes. He bought his cart from an airforce auction.

His cart is like this but without the cabover:
https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/...rm=&pnLink=yes

While this may also work, depending on the width:
https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/...rm=&pnLink=yes
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #9
kenhouser
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

awe if you are going to have to rig pulleys or gears then you should be able to do the same with the motor transverse(sideways). and then use the axle you got :)
kenhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:59 PM   #10
dlwilson
Getting Wild
Club Car

I've been checking eBay, but no luck yet. The Taylor Dunn axles might work, but they look narrow. Am hoping to find an axle with just a flange or yoke on the the pinion, to take a u-joint on a driveshaft that connects to my motor.

I think it will be a long-term search, but I'll keep looking.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!