lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #11
perrygolfer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Allied Lithium - 2015 EZGO Extended

i just put in 2 new allied 48v lithium batteries in my 2009 EZGO RXV and runs good. The ad says just drop them in and go but i found it is not that easy - i ordered the reducer/converter for the headlights and waiting on that - i also noticed 3 wires running from the 3-prong charger (red, black and gray with a little black box attached - fuse? sensor? - dont know). charges up well but dropped from 100% to 90% quickly on just a short test run. also i have one single black wire that i dont know what it is - seems to go to the back of the cart - its not connected yet until i get the reducer so to not fry it in case it requires 12v. i also assume the other 2 wires not connected (red and black) are for the headlights but difficult to tell - jury is still out on the connections.
perrygolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2021, 08:39 AM   #12
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biaviian View Post
Do you need the blank batteries or can you keep some of the bays open?
You definitely don’t need the blanks - just helped with securing the batteries, but other ways to accomplish same. And aesthetically, blanks make for a clean setup.
Witherel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:40 AM   #13
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwaa View Post
I have the Allied setup and I am loving it so far. I wish I had the 26MPH speed like you do.
Top speed 26mph, but flat road cruising is mostly 24mph...still happy considering stock motor and controller.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #14
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
I also have Allieds AND a PQ Bandit in my Club Car. I have a place in North Myrtle Beach, fwiw.

My batteries are about a year old so I have the 4 x 12v setup (80ah). The setup I have in series was replaced by the parallel versions this past fall. Reason being the batteries were not balancing while charging. To correct this, they sent out free balancers to folks like me.

I can go about 25-30mi on a charge depending on temperature and how aggressive I drive. While I still have my stock controller, I have 2g wires and an HD solenoid. Colder weather will reduce your mileage some so FYI. I also have to do some guess work as the state of charge meter on the batteries is somewhat of a moving target as you described.
25-30 miles is decent. With my 120ah setup I am getting quite a bit more than that. I don’t worry about charging after every trip. I routinely go 20-25mi in a day and the batteries still show 70+% of charge - if the digital meter can be trusted (I have two hooked up).
Old 04-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #15
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
I've just read about your experience with the new lithium setup. For the future it's a way to go for sure, but wondering about the bad performance of your lead acid batteries. What brand was it? My 2 years old Trojans (T1275plus) just arrived their 100% capacity after 40 loading cycles. My longest run last september with low regen braking was about 20mls and when i returned, the soc meter was showing ~75%. Not that poor as you described yours
This is a fair question. I was more than surprised that after just 2 years that I could barely finish a 7mi ride (4 passengers) on the lead acid batteries. I watered them as needed and always, always charged after every single trip - even if a 1mi trip or 10mi, I charged the batteries. Dealer recommended this and write-ups online offered differing opinions. I think the constant charging took a toll on the number of charging cycles. And to be honest, I checked battery water monthly but for over a year never added a drop because plates were covered - I wonder too if I didn’t water enough. But like I said, battery plates were always covered. They weren’t Trojans - I can’t recall the name brand though.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:54 AM   #16
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrygolfer View Post
i just put in 2 new allied 48v lithium batteries in my 2009 EZGO RXV and runs good. The ad says just drop them in and go but i found it is not that easy - i ordered the reducer/converter for the headlights and waiting on that - i also noticed 3 wires running from the 3-prong charger (red, black and gray with a little black box attached - fuse? sensor? - dont know). charges up well but dropped from 100% to 90% quickly on just a short test run. also i have one single black wire that i dont know what it is - seems to go to the back of the cart - its not connected yet until i get the reducer so to not fry it in case it requires 12v. i also assume the other 2 wires not connected (red and black) are for the headlights but difficult to tell - jury is still out on the connections.
My install was easier since I already had the 12v transformer for headlights, etc. truly plug and play for me. I did purchase the 2 gauge wires from Allied as added insurance , although old battery cables were fine. Love the 48v 120ah setup. I’m a fan.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #17
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witherel View Post
I watered them as needed and always, always charged after every single trip - even if a 1mi trip or 10mi, I charged the batteries. Dealer recommended this and write-ups online offered differing opinions. I think the constant charging took a toll on the number of charging cycles. And to be honest, I checked battery water monthly but for over a year never added a drop because plates were covered - I wonder too if I didn’t water enough. But like I said, battery plates were always covered. They weren’t Trojans - I can’t recall the name brand though.
I'm wondering if they sold you old batteries or if your lead acid charger wasn't fully charging the batteries. But the dealership was correct in that you should charge it at the end of the day if you used it that day. The batteries will degrade whenever they are left is a partially discharged state. My first set of batteries were 18 months old when I purchased them. Then they lasted 2 years in the FL heat. I limped along on them for another 6+ months before I switched to lithium. I also found out my charger was only charging them to 90%. So for my lead acid issues was a combo of older batteries and bad charger.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witherel View Post
25-30 miles is decent. With my 120ah setup I am getting quite a bit more than that. I don’t worry about charging after every trip. I routinely go 20-25mi in a day and the batteries still show 70+% of charge - if the digital meter can be trusted (I have two hooked up).
Keep in mind I have a PQ Bandit and 2g cables.

So I'll get a little more performance at the expense of range. Plus I have a heavy foot.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:08 PM   #19
Witherel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlPack View Post
Keep in mind I have a PQ Bandit and 2g cables.

So I'll get a little more performance at the expense of range. Plus I have a heavy foot.
Nice! I have the 2g cables, but otherwise the factory controller and motor. Lifted with bigger wheels and extended 6-seater. I’m getting consistently 25-26mph flat surface, no wind
Old 05-19-2021, 10:52 AM   #20
Adjake
Not Yet Wild

Have you had any charging issues yet? We’ve had a few carts with these come in the shop and have found some bad batteries. The add on bms IMO from them is garbage. One of the carts had 4-12volts in series which is definitely not the recommended setup.
Adjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allied, lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO