lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
quadracerx
Not Yet Wild

Default Harley Cart Manual

Is there a place to download manuals for a gas 3 wheel Harley Golf Cart?

Thanks
quadracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Harley Cart Manual

to BGW

Here is an online database of HD/Columbia manuals: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/columbia-parcars/
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
quadracerx
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help with the manuals....

What is the best way to bypass the starter solenoid to try and start my cart?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Take a set of car jumper cables and go from battery positive straight to the positive lug on the starter. Make sure the rear wheels are jacked up in the air while testing.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Why are you trying to bypass the solenoid? One problem if you are doing that and expecting it to start is you won't be getting power to the coil so no spark.

Power flow on these is pretty simple. Battery terminal on solenoid - circuit breaker - key - gas pedal switch - then it splits into 2 wires one to the solenoid and the other to the ignition.

Lost the key? Just bypass that or replace it with some other switch.

Also note that the circuit breaker or a fuse is important unless you want to replace the entire wiring harness after the minor fire like I had.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
quadracerx
Not Yet Wild

So in the interest of fair reporting... Let me first say Im an idiot, because I had the cart running after installing a new choke cable... I went to move it, it was running moving slowly I moved the lever to reverse... it was still kreeping forward... The motor died and then I cant refire it...

You can hear a click like the solenoid is clicking but that's it... Not sure what the issue is...

I have the key, so I thought I could bypass the solenoid and maybe it would start...

Please try to be kind... I know I'm stupid...
Old 10-22-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

The solenoid clicking almost assuredly means that the solenoid is good.

When you say the cart was creeping I am betting that the starter was turning which was turning the motor slowly thus causing the cart to move slowly. If I were a betting man, I would say that your cart was never actually running.

You need to check to see if you have spark.

Attached is a testing procedure that was written with input from a few of here. You may find it helpful in troubleshooting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Testing Procedure.pdf (245.9 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #8
Scooter_Trash
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73eldo View Post
Also note that the circuit breaker or a fuse is important unless you want to replace the entire wiring harness after the minor fire like I had.
My 64's circuit breaker doesn't help that situation!
Looks like the 1968 model D introduced the overload circuit breaker.
Any clue what amperage they kick at? As much as I like straight OEM, I may have to retrofit my Model D.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:13 PM   #9
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

I don't remember if the book said what size the breaker was. I think I went with a 20 because 20 or 30 was what was in stock at my local auto parts store. I also considered using a fusible link wire which are also available at a parts store.

Back to the original problem... He says reverse lever so must be an 81 or older. Creeping forward means starter was working. Flipping to reverse and having it still moving forward doesn't make sense. Should have make some serious sparks in the switch and made the starter try and suddenly reverse maybe burning things up in the process. Or is this maybe a very early cart that has a transmission? Where is the gas tank? Plastic in the back would be mid 70's. Metal tank under the seat would be earlier. Do the badges say AMF harley or just harley? Is the reverse lever just got wires on it or is there a rod that goes back to something that could be a transmission?
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:08 PM   #10
quadracerx
Not Yet Wild

Ok... So further work continues on my cart...

I took the starter/generator off and took it to a Starter/Alternator specialty shop... He is a friend....

He said there isn't anything wrong with the Starter/Generator... So where would the breaker/fuse be located?

Thanks again for the help.

Steve
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson