lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Snootalope
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 48V RXV & State of Charge Meter - Volt Issue

Hey all, I just installed this "3G Digital Charge Meter for EZGO RXV Golf Carts" that I got from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got a 2015 48v RXV where everything electrical is stock from the factory yet.

I followed a youtube video for installation help, seemed to be pretty simple and straightforward. I simply plugged in the connector the meter came with into the connector on the backside of the key switch and it works when the key is in R/N/F. However, the volt meter is showing me 14.4 or 14.5 rather than the volts of the entire pack which I'd assume would be 48-50 volts. It's almost like it's just reading one battery.. I know these RXV's are super sensitive when it comes to messing with the wiring and all so figured I'd check to see if anyone has one of these meters and maybe ran into the same thing. The meter has a volts, overall percentage and hours option and the % seems fine but again I'm wondering what exactly it's measuring since the first Volt selection is showing 14 some volts rather than 48+.

I sent the seller the same question but haven't gotten a response so I'll certainly update this if/when they get back to me.
Snootalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-27-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48V RXV & State of Charge Meter - Volt Issue

I would say you got a bad meter.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #3
Snootalope
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I hope that’s it, I really don’t want to mess with wiring. I’ll keep trying to reach the seller and see if they’ll send a new one. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
Snootalope
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just a follow up incase anyone else runs into this. The manufacturer sent me the actual directions (which didn't come with the part to begin with) and sure enough for 2015 and newer models it takes a bit more wiring to get the reading of the full pack. At the bottom of the directions is "ATTN: For 2015 and newer, the Red lead from the plug to the V on the back of the meter is not to be used. You must run a lead from the open red lead under the drink holder to the V on the meter. This is a open 48v lead." Once I did that, the meter is showing the full 50v read from the pack as to just one battery.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #5
rraquib
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you I was having the same issue and was about to return the unit. In my case thought I have Lithium batter pack.
rraquib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
bmmonahan
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootalope View Post
Just a follow up incase anyone else runs into this. The manufacturer sent me the actual directions (which didn't come with the part to begin with) and sure enough for 2015 and newer models it takes a bit more wiring to get the reading of the full pack. At the bottom of the directions is "ATTN: For 2015 and newer, the Red lead from the plug to the V on the back of the meter is not to be used. You must run a lead from the open red lead under the drink holder to the V on the meter. This is a open 48v lead." Once I did that, the meter is showing the full 50v read from the pack as to just one battery.
I purchased this same battery meter. I like it because it replaces the factory meter.

My issue is the same, but there is no red lead available under the dash. All the wires are connected.

I ran the red lead to the solenoid so the meter turns on and off via the key switch. Same way I wired in the reducer. Issue now is that the battery meter says 71% charge but the volt meter says 49 volts. I thought the volts would be 71% of 48. Is this incorrect thinking?
bmmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:13 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmonahan View Post
I purchased this same battery meter. I like it because it replaces the factory meter.

My issue is the same, but there is no red lead available under the dash. All the wires are connected.

I ran the red lead to the solenoid so the meter turns on and off via the key switch. Same way I wired in the reducer. Issue now is that the battery meter says 71% charge but the volt meter says 49 volts. I thought the volts would be 71% of 48. Is this incorrect thinking?
Very much incorrect. 48.0v is only about 50% charged, fully charged is nearer 50.9v, empty is like 46v.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieBChart.jpg (51.0 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #8
bmmonahan
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you so much! Newbie to carts, I appreciate the info.
bmmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO