lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
CoastalPalms
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 21 Gas Club Car Onward Surges on Acceleration

My brand new 2021 Club Car Onward 6 passenger lifted golf cart "surges" when you first accelerate. It's like the engine is running too fast when it first starts after pressing down on the gas pedal and jumps up to a speed that is more than needed. I have driven gas carts for many years and this is not normal. It has a Kohler Engine by the way and the serial number is AW2123-180470. The dealer I bought if from however says this is normal when they modify one to make it fast enough for street legal (which is what I purchased from them). From what I read on the internet though there may be a high speed accelerator cable that I could purchase for it that cures this problem. But the only ones I can find are for regular 2 or 4 passenger Precedent models so I'm not sure if that would work for my 6 passenger Onward?. I read in a different thread on this forum that you only have to adjust the throttle cable under the floor to correct this problem and not touch any of the other possible throttle adjustments. But it doesn't say if you still have to replace the accelerator cable as well or note? Is there possibly a video or written procedure somewhere that explains exactly how to do this so I could pass it along to my dealer or that I could do myself? I would truly appreciate any help that you can provide.
CoastalPalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Saltspray
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 21 Gas Club Car Onward Surges on Acceleration

Sounds like someone overtightened the spring on governor arm on back of transaxle, especially since you mentioned them “adjusting” it to make street legal. Take off the back access panel and see if they zip tied your governor spring.

They also could have rrmoved too much slack from throttle cable.
Saltspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:22 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Usually to make it faster they will adjust the accelerator cable under the floor near where it attaches to the pedal assembly.

There is a high speed cable option but as far as I know it is only for the standard size carts and not a stretched cart. The only difference is the tension of the spring on the end.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
YoToddy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have the exact same cart... do you mind asking what they consider "street legal" speed? Mine tops out around 18 to 19mph and the dealer didn't modify anything. The first time I took it out on the road, I got pulled over for driving too slow! (The cop thought I might have been driving drunk) I told him I had it floored. I have a custom shop near me telling me they can re-gear it and it will get closer to 28-30mph. I think I would be fine if I could just get to about 25mph.
YoToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car