lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
swsawyer@reagan.com
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Navitas 600 with OTF Programmer

When I was deployed, I spent a great deal of my downtime studying and dreaming about turning a golf cart into a hunting buggy. I NEVER EVER realized how prevalent the custom golf cart community is. And .... I NEVER EVER EVER dreamed how utterly addictive such a simple idea could be. My wife now says, the only reason I work is to to feed my "buggy addiction." This would be sort of funny, if she were not a Mental Health Professional, with the credentials to actually backup calling what I say is a hobby, an addiction. But, none the less, it is a golf cart, not meth or some other substance, and I could quit, if I wanted to. (That's my story and I am sticking to it)

My current setup: 2010 CC Precedent, 6" lift, winch, LED lights front and rear, MadJax 600 amp controller (mine is blue and branded MadJax, opposed to being a green one from Navitas) with an On-the-Fly Programmer. Currently running a set of Trojan 875's that seem to be in decent shape. The pack seems to top out at 50.4v and I have never tried to push the range past 12 miles on a single charge, though by the time I got home, it was noticeably sluggish.

I plan on building a Lithium pack when these batteries start to die, so I am studying really hard to learn all I can from you great guys in the interim. In reading through a lot of these post, I cannot once recall a single mention of anyone using "my" controller and OTF with a Li pack.

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts, or info on using a Navitas 600 with OTF programmer with a Lithium pack?

Thanks,
Sean
swsawyer@reagan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Navitas 600 with OTF Programmer

My current controller is an Alltrax 4865 650AMP controller. I sent Alltrax an email telling them I was doing a Lithium swap, and ask if the controller was good to handle it.

Here is the response I got: Hello David,
Power is power whether its lithium or lead so no changes have to be made with the controller. You will want to use a BMS with your batteries to ensure there longevity.

I figured "power is power"....but I do like the experts to tell me that!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
swsawyer@reagan.com
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Dave.

You've got to appreciate a statement like, "Power is Power." That sums things up nicely.

Sean
swsawyer@reagan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I know Alltrax are good to 60v, I do not know what V the Navitas controller is good for, but it is likely the same. My Alltrax actually says it is good for 62V, I don't know if mine is standard or not.

But when you go Lithium, just make sure your battery pack when fully charged is not above the voltage cutoff for the controller. power is power, yes, but too much V is still too much V.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

According to a recent conversation with Navitas, their 600amp model is good from 24-60v input. Maybe even 72 but that would need to be verified as I am researching a few different vehicles at this moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Fastest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
casey344
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsawyer@reagan.com View Post
And .... I NEVER EVER EVER dreamed how utterly addictive such a simple idea could be. My wife now says, the only reason I work is to to feed my "buggy addiction."
Glad to read this and know I'm not alone. I'm self-employed but have probably spent more of the last two months on this forum than doing what I should be doing. My build is complete so I'm only half-neglecting my responsibilities now instead of completely.
casey344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
super jim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

should I need a BMS on my setup? Or will the Navitas controller not handle it?
super jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #8
molfpedal
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by super jim View Post
should I need a BMS on my setup? Or will the Navitas controller not handle it?

If you have lithium you need a bms. This is very important. I have a RXV with a 600A Navitas Tac2 controller, 14s Gen 2 Leaf Pack and I have a Cheap Chinese BMS setup based on Sergio’s design ( Search Sergio )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:42 PM   #9
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Navitas 600 with OTF Programmer

The Navitas 600a AC controller is good for a 72v nominal setup. There are lots of guys on the Golf Carts Modified Facebook forum running that configuration. Not sure about their DC controllers though. The BMS protects the batteries from over charge/discharge and keeps the cells balanced (usually).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mccainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:02 AM   #10
super jim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I asked Roypow directly this question, Steve Li of Roypow had this to say.
And I quote:

"Hi Jim,

For the S51160 with Navitas 600 controller, we would recommend to limit the top speed at 20mph or less. Due to the over discharge current protection would start at 200amps last 10 seconds..
Our battery is with a BMS inside the pack. How do you add another BMS?
Thanks!

Tags
lithium, navitas, otf
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!