lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
tennessee cart
Not Yet Wild

Default G2 stops running

Hi,
I've got an '87 G2 that is going to be the death of me. Here is what is happening. I take it for a 1/2 mile loop and it runs fine, after I slow down to pull into the driveway it slows to a crawl (literally). It sounds like the engine is turning over it just isn't creating power. If I let it sit for a few minutes I can get it to go again. I installed a new fuel filter, air filter plus pre-filter, spark plug, took apart the carb and cleaned it, changed the oil. I have zip strips keeping the air box shut so I shouldn't be leaking air.
I checked the fuel intake into the carb and it appears to be getting a good supply of fuel. I am not the most savy person when it comes to working on engines so any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU
tennessee cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 stops running

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee cart View Post
Hi,
I've got an '87 G2 that is going to be the death of me. Here is what is happening. I take it for a 1/2 mile loop and it runs fine, after I slow down to pull into the driveway it slows to a crawl (literally). It sounds like the engine is turning over it just isn't creating power. If I let it sit for a few minutes I can get it to go again. I installed a new fuel filter, air filter plus pre-filter, spark plug, took apart the carb and cleaned it, changed the oil. I have zip strips keeping the air box shut so I shouldn't be leaking air.
I checked the fuel intake into the carb and it appears to be getting a good supply of fuel. I am not the most savy person when it comes to working on engines so any help would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU
I would buy a 8.00 or so "dynamic spark tester" a the local auto parts store. Install it and run the car till it only turns over on the generator. Then you can tell if you lost spark. If you lose spark I would think "ignitor" if you have spark all the time....compression or fuel problems. I have many G2's that would run grreat till they got "warm" then stop. I found the ignitor was the problem. Unless you have a freind with a G2 that you can switch ignitors...try the spark testor....ignitor's are not cheap. Let us know what you find.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
tennessee cart
Not Yet Wild

smallblock,
thanks for giving me a direction to go. On a side note it also gives off noxious fumes to the point where your eyes water when you lift up the seat cowl to look at the engine. Is this normal? I wouldn't think, but I don't know
tennessee cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Sounds like you might have a stopped up muffler.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha