lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
txjack1956
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2010 Precedent

I work on a fleet of 60 Club Car (2010 Precedent) golf carts. I have been having a few problems that no one seems to be able to say "this is the problem" so I thought I would post on here to see if I can get some decent answers.

My first problem was with the batteries. They were all dying either just short of one round or half way through the second round. Club Car - without prodding - came in and changed all of the computers on the cars. They never said why, they just did it. Then the battery problems got worse. Club Car was called in and they did their testing. 75% of the carts I had all had batteries that needed replacing. (These are 2010 models with less than 15,000 energy units used - most were in the 11 to 12,000 range at the time). They didn't seem to think there was a problem until they had replaced 45+ batteries. The next thing I knew, they replaced all 360 batteries.

Club Car told me that the batteries were from a bad batch and that is why they had all the problems. They also said that the computer change was an effort to ward off the battery problems, but in actuality it enhanced the problems. Since then, a new problem has appeared. It is that the carts don't move. I first thought the forward/reverse switches were bad, but it was a random thing and actually fixed themselves. PFM as I call it. When I talked to Club Car, one person told me that the computers could be going bad (Brand New Computers) and that I needed to watch them. No one seems to know what the real problem is. One person says switches (that magically fix themselves) another says the computer and another has no clue as to what I am dealing with.

My prime golf season starts in six (6) weeks. Does ANYONE have any ideas as to what I could be dealing with? How to correct it? Do I have a fleet of lemons? I am approaching warranty expiration and would like some fast answers before we are hit with big costs to keep them running. The lease we have lasts another 15 months or so.

Thanks

Jack Martin
txjack1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 2010 Precedent

your saying all these carts have these same issues? if thats the case all i can say is WOW........do solenoids click? i can beleive maybe a bad batch of solenoids which would make every cart act the same way just about......chargers all work on carts? anybody test controllers? how are these carts kept when not in use? how about washing them? to much water dosn,t agree with the controllers ................sorry i,m just trying to throw some ideas at you if its all these carts there has to be a common thread................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

You can remove a F&R switch or two on carts that have this problem and see if they have any water in them. If they don't one problem down, several to go.

Are your chargers on any type of circuit that would be cut off at night? Are all your chargers allowed to charge your carts for up to 16 hours?

When you put in a new set of batteries did the carts go the distance like they should? For several days?
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
txjack1956
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the responses. First of all, all solenoids appear to work just fine. When I had one cart down, I hooked up the IQDM and it would not read the onboard computer for the first 5 trys, then PFM - it read the computer and the cart started working as normal.

All chargers work and there is no circuit that shuts anything down at night. The carts are stored in a barn locked up and all hooked to individual chargers. We try to get the carts washed daily, but that doesn't always happen - you all know how cart boys can be. As for the F/R switches, I took one apart -- totally dry and all clean inside. Nothing seemed amiss, but put the switch back without doing anything, cart magically works.

Any other thoughts????
Old 01-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Exorcism . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

this is one for the cart gods............DAVID where are you..............i have never touched a 2010 so i,m gust guessing here but with that many carts doing the same thing i really think if it were my dicision i would have the dealer there and hey its like this these carts need to be right and if your guys can,t do it i,ll find someone who can and you,ll pay the bill........i,m not trying to bail or anything but i,m guessing theres a lot of money involved on your part plus the fact they have to be reliable and it sounds like you have a fleet of lemons....thats just to many carts for it to be random......can you get the dealer to drop a few controllers off so you can put in and try?? not computers ( OBC,s ) but controllers thats the only other thing that comes to mind and if you put just a few in and the carts run than BINGO.......cause you know as well as i do that they don,t just fix themselves......that would be my next move.....................................
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
txjack1956
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Tom -- I will give that a try. I am being pushed to make sure they are all ready for Spring and in Texas that is about 6 weeks for us. This morning for example, I had one that would go in reverse but not forward. Give it a few minutes and it works just fine. Club Car came out with a directive for me to place the carts in tow, put the F/R switch in Neutral and turn key off. They said it was because the carts would draw 5 milliamps of energy and the computer could not compensate for that. 5 milliamps can hardly be measured!!!!

Jack
Old 01-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

jack at thin point i don,t think C.C has a clue.......ity sounds like they gave you sort of an OBC reboot but i,m not sure how you do the reboot on a 2010.......i really think i would get a few controllers and put them in see what happens............if it is controller related you,ll know right away and that gives you time to drive those carts for a few days to make sure......your looking at maybe an hours work tops........the controller tells everything else what to do in a manner of speaking and the symptons your decribing all point in the same direction...........keep us updated but at least give this a try.......or even if you have any of the same carts that are working fine just take a controller from one and try it in one thats acting up..........nice thing is if you have the same carts that are working you can start swapping parts to try and isolate it.........and remember put in tow and disconnect main pos and neg cables before working on them................................
Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Let's think out of the box for a bit...

If the first problem was battery life and it happened to almost all of your carts then I feel the problem is with the charging of the batteries.

Has anyone tested the actual voltage of the outlets used for the chargers? Are they all on the same circuit in your barn? I'd test the output of the outlets once the chargers are hooked up just to see if the voltage is dropping excessively. Why not also find a different place to charge a couple of carts and see what happens, (totally different circuit from the barn.)

Also why not take a couple of carts that continually have problems and purchase different chargers, (NON CC Chargers.) You can easily bypass your OBC and use the brain of those new chargers to see if the batteries will take a full charge, (50.91 pack voltage and better once charged and settled.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I'd get your dealer to fix it if I were you. In my professional opinion, it sounds like a solenoid lockout failure in the on-board computer. As for the premature battery failure, how on earth do you accumulate 15,000 EUs in two years? You're either playing too much golf for the size fleet that you have, or you've got poor cart rotation. Are they all around 15,000 or do you have a wide variance of EUs across the entire fleet? What kind of batteries are they? Are you sure they haven't been overfilled with water repeatedly for the life of the cart? I've seen plenty of courses destroy batteries in two years but 100% of them could prevent the problem with proper battery watering techniques. A good, clean, perfectly watered battery pack makes a world of difference.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car