lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
tbhc
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart is powered unless in neutral

Hi folks, my golf cart will drive with the 1- key off, if I turn it to forward or reverse. The only way I can get it to stop is if I shift it to neutral. Its an ezgo and old. Thanks in advance ..

Tom
tbhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart is powered unless in neutral

Does it have the wiper board? If so check the micro switches and make sure the arm is making it close and open and it also maybe broke. Check this thread I just finished on this one. if it runs with key off then the selonoid is the problem more than likely it welded up and is letting circuit being made.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...or-wiring.html
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
tbhc
Not Yet Wild

Andy, Yes the key is off, even if I take the key wires off it runs when I go to F & R. I dont know what a wiper board is but im gonna research and find out. I used an ohm meter on the micro switch and the switch opens and close's when I push the accelerator.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Sounds like the throttle is not coming all the way back to the stopped position. Make sure its resting on the first or second contact on the wiper assembly. Usually its the second contact I believe. If its on the 3rd contact it's definately not going all the way back to the stopped position.

Now, thats just part of the problem. The key SHOULD deactivate the solenoid when its turned off. Sounds like the wiring is a little screwy too. Get a diagram and start checking things.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
tbhc
Not Yet Wild

roady thanks I will check this out. The cart has run fine for the 10 years I've had it. My boys were driving it stopped, then started up again then it would not stop, they held the brakes down and switched to neutral and coasted into the garage. I'll dig in soon.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Could be the solenoid is stuck closed. Rap it with a srewdriver handle or such to see if it will release..... If it does replace it.... THe key is being over-ridden..... sounds like 2 problems
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:05 AM   #7
tbhc
Not Yet Wild

I gave it a good smack a few times and it wont release. Im going to order a new one today.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhc View Post
I gave it a good smack a few times and it wont release. Im going to order a new one today.
Replace it with a golf cart solenoid of the same voltage ONLY!
There is probably a problem with the speed control (wiper board) too as roady said.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

The wiper has to go to the bottom of the contacts. There should be 5 of them. The very bottom one is not hooked to anything it has to go all the way down with no contact to the other contacts. Check out the post link I made and it shows all these things and how they are wired. There is three micro switches in the system I'm talking about here.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Thanks Andy, I was concerned about which contact it SHOULD be resting on in the stopped position. That first contact confuses allot of people because it has nothing connected and they think it should have.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO