lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
ThatSloanGuy
Not Yet Wild

Question Club Car OBC-Charger Issue?

I picked up a cart ( 2007 CC Precedent 48V) that according to the owner had old batteries and what he described was aging batteries that eventually did not take a charge. After putting new batteries in the cart I am not getting a solenoid click. I ran through the usual culprits of ignition, run tow, and obvious wiring issues and didn’t get anything.

I noticed it had an obc on this model and a Delta Q charger. I’m not super familiar with these, but from what I read they can cause the controller to not supply the negative to the solenoid (which is confirmed via a meter). When I plug the charger in it tries to come on, then after 10-15 seconds the yellow triangle flashes. Can someone familiar with these look at the pictures and give me some guidance as far as further testing?

Thanks,
Jake
ThatSloanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
ThatSloanGuy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car OBC-Charger Issue?

Update and solution for those that may stumble upon this on the inner workings of the interwebz later.

Here’s some pictures I will reference in this:
http://https://imgur.com/gallery/5n1I0wR

Here’s some important information about the basics that you’ll need to know fully understand what is going on that you can’t tell from the diagrams alone.
1. Your controller must receive 48V (30+ Is acceptable per the manual for the controller )from an input from your OBC in order to turn on and perform functions like activating your solenoid. Several things can cause your solenoid to not engage; however, if your controller does not receive a valid input voltage from your OBC, it will not activate your solenoid and your cart will not run. You can see through the diagram I have attached how the positive battery voltage goes through the OBC and into the controller. If everything is working correctly, you can read Pin 5 (highlighted) on your controller. If it’s 0, your OBC is why your solenoid is not engaging.
2. You can measure the voltage on Pin 5 on your controller to verify if your OBC is providing the correct voltage to allow your controller to engage your solenoid.
Pin 5 = 48V : OBC not the reason your solenoid isn’t engaging and cart isn’t running
Pin 5 = ~0V : Your OBC or something between the pack and the OBC connection to your controller is the issue.
3. You can verify this by creating a jumper (temporarily for testing purposes) on the connector on the back of the OBC. This will simulate 48v output from your OBC and if this is your sole issue, will allow the solenoid to engage.

How to Use a Jumper to Verify OBC Issue:
Reference the diagram I drew on here.
As you can see, battery positive can be numbered in more than one way. I highlighted in red the most appropriate in my mind. If you create a jumper and place it from white -> blue, you will have 48V input to the controller when you have the cart in RUN, but not when in TOW. Red -> Blue will also work, but will always provide the voltage, which is not optimal. To make the jumper I just used a small piece of conductor, and placed it into the wire harness side of the connector between the corresponding wires I was attaching.

Upon doing this, turning the key to ON and placing the cart is RUN, depressing my pedal now engaged my solenoid and let me drive the cart. Tomorrow I will learn more about the OBC (and probably bypass it myself) and update the post.

TLDR: If your model is similar to mine: 07 Club Car Precedent 48V, your OBC could not be supplying voltage to your controller, which will not allow the controller to engage your solenoid. Referring battery negative, check voltage at Pin 5 on the controller (which one this is is listed on the harness as well as in my diagram). If you’re getting ~48V, your issue is something else and not your OBC. If it is 0v or anything less than 30, your OBC or a connection between it and your pack or it and your controller is the issue. Make a jumper on the wiring harness on the back of your OBC between white and blue. Now when you put it in run, turn the key on, and press the pedal your solenoid should now engage.
ThatSloanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car OBC-Charger Issue?

Actually with the OEM controller the best way to find out if the OBC has the Controller on charger lockout is to put the FNR in Reverse.

If the Controller is in charger lockout the buzzer will not make a sound.

You should check the top of this forum "stickies", there are two dedicated to the proper OBC by-pass procedure and description of how it works for all different Club Car models.

Since the OBC is bad you should just cut the wires off the OBC and use the OBC 6-pin connector as a "jumper" plug.

If You want the ERIC charger you have to disable the Controller when plugged to the cart, here is how to do it using a 10kΩ resistor:
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...4836&p=1333836

You should also check that your ERIC charger has the best profile loaded for your batteries.

There are many threads related to that information, here is one with some reference links:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show....php?p=1575629
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, issue, troubleshoot
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car