lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
horse4190
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Going forward & reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You should only have two wires on the key switch (one on each terminal), disconnect one and see if the problem persists.

If it does, check the wiring again as You missed something.
Thanks. Do I have to disconnect the wires on the key switch that goes to the Solenoid or the one to goes to the Key Switch?
horse4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-22-2020, 09:38 AM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is no wire that goes from the Key switch to the Solenoids.

One side of the key switch goes to the pack negative battery post.

The other side of the key switch goes to the micro-switch on the FNR.

Disconnecting either wire interrupts the current so it does not matter which one you disconnect.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #13
horse4190
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sergio. You're so helpful. I am newbie to this and keep trying. I don't want to go back to the mechanic who tried to fix it, but after few days the problem came back.

So, if I disconnect either of the wires on the key switch and if the problem still persists with sparks and wheel moves, will that be the terminals or something else?
Old 09-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #14
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the problem still exists after you disconnect the key switch, there are two possibilities:
1) You have two solenoids that are stuck in a closed position (The master solenoid plus another one).

2) Your wiring does not match the diagram I posted.

You said the Solenoids were new so I think You still have a cable or wire in the wrong place.

Post a picture of the Solenoids showing how it is wired.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #15
horse4190
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You should only have two wires on the key switch (one on each terminal), disconnect one and see if the problem persists.

If it does, check the wiring again as You missed something.
Hi Sergio, I have disconnected the wires on the Key Switch and the problem still persists. Without either of the wires on the key switch, when switching the FNR to forward or reverse, the rear wheel still spins (lifted up for safety).

All the wiring connections are correct as per the wiring diagrams. Wirings from Solenoids to Speed Box are correct. I have attached the picture of the Solenoids, one with cooper bar on top and the other one, no bar.

The only I can think of are the solenoids, 4 are new. When I tested by multimeter each one of them without the copper bar on top, 3 of them does not have continuity. Do you think, this is the issue? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200926_163403.jpg (226.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200926_163642.jpg (199.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200926_163437.jpg (175.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #16
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse4190 View Post
Hi Sergio, I have disconnected the wires on the Key Switch and the problem still persists. Without either of the wires on the key switch, when switching the FNR to forward or reverse, the rear wheel still spins (lifted up for safety).

All the wiring connections are correct as per the wiring diagrams. Wirings from Solenoids to Speed Box are correct. I have attached the picture of the Solenoids, one with cooper bar on top and the other one, no bar.

The only I can think of are the solenoids, 4 are new. When I tested by multimeter each one of them without the copper bar on top, 3 of them does not have continuity. Do you think, this is the issue? Thanks
If you are saying 2 of the solenoids DO have continuity, across the big terminals, with the bar disconnected - those 2 are your problems. No doubt one of them is the "main" solenoid furthest to the drivers side (right in your picture). 4 of the solenoids are new, but are they right? It's common error to get solenoids from an auto parts store, or online site, that are automotive starter solenoids. Those may last a few days then fail. They need to be continuous duty solenoids intended for golf cart use. Think of it this way: in a car the solenoid only stays engage for the few seconds it takes to start the engine. In you golf cart the solenoids will stay engaged the entire time you're moving.

Last edited by meimk; 09-27-2020 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #17
horse4190
Not Yet Wild

The main Solenoid and 2nd Speeds Solenoid has continuity with the bar removed and battery disconnected. 1st, 3rd and Full Speed have No continuities. My pics attached is with the main. I thought the one that have no continuity are the defective. The mechanics installed the solenoids and no idea if for golfcarts paid $425.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200927-101219_Gallery.jpg (74.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-28-2020, 06:34 AM   #18
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse4190 View Post
The main Solenoid and 2nd Speeds Solenoid has continuity with the bar removed and battery disconnected. 1st, 3rd and Full Speed have No continuities. My pics attached is with the main. I thought the one that have no continuity are the defective. The mechanics installed the solenoids and no idea if for golfcarts paid $425.
Those solenoids are an electronic switch. It's "off" when at rest. No continuity between the big posts. The small terminals are what turn the switch on. When one small terminal has battery + (in this case approximately 36V) and the other side has the - it completes the circuit and engages the switch. Only when the control side (small terminals) are supplied should there be continuity between those big posts. From the looks of your picture those 2 are some of your 4 "new" solenoids and are probably welded together internally. I'm guessing they are starter solenoids and lasted a couple days till the continuous duty cycle melted the contacts inside together.
If possible, I'd get back with the "mechanics" and see if they can replace the failed ones they sold you with working ones. Probably need to replace the other 2 (looks like 1st & 4th speeds?) while your at it. if they are the same part, they'll fail soon too.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #19
horse4190
Not Yet Wild

Thanks meimk, am I correct with this when testing by multimeter to get the continuity.
- connect them all with the bar attached to it.
- lift the cart for safety
- turn on the key switch
- FNR on neutral
- press the pedal.
Then, check each of the solenoids if there is continuity. If no, continuity then that is the problem? Or is it the other way, if no continuity it is working?
Old 10-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

This would be my recommendation:
Remove the bar that attaches all solenoids big posts.
Turn Key switch OFF.
Test all Solenoids big posts for continuity, any Solenoid with continuity is bad and needs to be replaced.

Keep bar disconnected so cart cannot move.
Turn Key Switch ON and place FNR in Forward.
Press accelerator pedal all the way DOWN and keep it down during the tests.
Make sure all Solenoids have +36v between their small posts.

Replace any micro-switch for a Solenoid that does not have +36v between the small posts before next test.

Test all Solenoids big post for continuity.

Replace any Solenoid that does not have continuity between big posts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car