lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
heathtd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Sputters, Stalls & Sometimes Doesn’t Want to Move - 2010 Precedent

Hi all,

Newbie here. I’ve done some research and think I have the answer, but wanted to double check.

I bought a used 2010 Club Car Precdent that has been extended. Ran fine for a week or so and now hestiates, stalls and sometimes does not want to move. I thought it may be the batteries even though I was told they were “good” and a year old. Batteries checked, they are good.

I read the forums about the speed switch/sensor or the MCOR. The cart beeps when it is rolling backwards, so I think the speed switch/sensor is good. Having read the threads, I went ahead and ordered a new MCOR. Hopefully that’ll fix it, but wanted to double check with those in this group.

More MODs to come to my cart. I plan to lift it, new wheels/tires and other MODs as I can. Looking forward to the discussion and insight everyone can provide on this forum.

Thanks!
heathtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Sputters, Stalls & Sometimes Doesn’t Want to Move - 2010 Precedent

Before you go changing out parts, you need to do a load test on your batteries. The best way to test them is to get some clips and run wire on the clips up to the seat while you are driving the cart use your volt meter hooked to the clips check what the voltage drops to. Do this for the whole battery pack, then do it on each battery. I think you may find a battery that is not holding up under load.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
heathtd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks mrgolf for the reply. Some updates over the past few weeks.

I went on travel and the wife took the kids around in the cart. Typical sputters, etc, then she parked it in the garage. Came back the next day. Won’t move.

Since then, I’ve taken it apart. Noticed some corrosion in some of the wires going to the controller. Both solenoid and controller (48v FSIP Model 1510A-5250) look new. I changed one of the molex connectors out (grey wire) and it worked fine...for a night. Went for a ride in the morning with the kids, then it started struggling, now wont move at all.

What should my next steps be? I already changed the MCOR (it clicks) and the solenoid is still clicking loudly as I apply pressure to the accelerator.

IF the controller is bad, any recommendations on a replacement? This is a 48v Precedent that has been extended, so I’m wondering if I should upgrade the controller and then eventually the motor for more performance. Motor is currently the standard 3.3 HP.

Thoughts? I’m soon to lose my mind on this thing....
Old 12-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
heathtd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

...another consideration, I plan on lifting it to get over some terrain here locally. In case a lift and larger tires is something to factor in downstream for the controller replacement.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

What was the batteries showing for voltage when you checked them? Everything you say points to battery problems.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #6
heathtd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Batteries were at about 8.4v and when load tested they barely dropped. I tested them, had Batteries Plus test them and a local cart dealer test them. All checked out.

I took the controller off and shipped it to FSIP today. They are going to test it for ~$40 and report back. The ~$40 can be applied to a reman’d controller if that is what it is.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:26 PM   #7
heathtd
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Package received back from FSIP today. The results of the test is that the Field Circuit in the controller was faulty. Nonetheless, they shipped a remanufactured controller and I paid an extra $20 for an additional year warranty. Small plug. Dealing with FSIP was great. These guys were responsive and wiling to run down the status of the order over the phone. Top notch and will be glad to do business with them again.

Installed the controller today and everything appears to be working as intended. Thanks to all for the help! Thought I’d post this in case someone runs across something similar and could benefit from my troubleshooting.

Next up before the summer. Lift, tires, and heavy duty springs in the back.

Thanks to mrgolf for plugging in and helping me out!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car