lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #11
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch Engages BUT Cart Stays Still

Here is what mine looks like and the belt that is currently in use. Also a picture of my drive clutch
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #12
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

It looks like the ramps aren't aligned with the slides on the sheave. The flat spot on the ramp should run flush on the slide

That stiff torque spring probably isn't helping things...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inked40037142-EB1F-449B-9030-4876E67783A7_LI.jpg (945.0 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #13
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

That makes sense.

When I put everything back together I used what it looked like before as my reference. I will disassemble and run the ramp and slide tight.

If the torque spring is designed to help, why would it be hurting the cart? New parts matched with old worn out parts?
Old 05-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #14
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH View Post
That makes sense.

When I put everything back together I used what it looked like before as my reference. I will disassemble and run the ramp and slide tight.

If the torque spring is designed to help, why would it be hurting the cart? New parts matched with old worn out parts?
It's just a very stiff spring. Worn clutch sheaves have failed/broken because of this. If you assemble everything except the spring, the ramps should align correctly on the sheave.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #15
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
It's just a very stiff spring. Worn clutch sheaves have failed/broken because of this. If you assemble everything except the spring, the ramps should align correctly on the sheave.
Good info here, thanks. Since the spring install I’ve actually noticed a variety of symptoms. Faster speeds and higher Rpms at first, then the Rpms settled out, but now the power is back to normal if not a little slower. Sounds like I may need to revert back to stock spring for now, and invest in 2 new clutches and a belt.

Let me pick your brain on this.. when I installed the spring I noticed I already had a splined washer and the half moon key was non existing..
Old 05-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #16
Dave in VA

Yamaha

I've got a Yamaha u-max spring, which will work well for you. OEM Yamaha. It's 6" long and used in the Yamaha utility carts, like my G11. The clutch in the pic is gone.

$25 plus postage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49810976306_b62b8d40c5_c.jpg (131.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #17
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
I've got a Yamaha u-max spring, which will work well for you. OEM Yamaha. It's 6" long and used in the Yamaha utility carts, like my G11. The clutch in the pic is gone.

$25 plus postage.
Spring that came off is about 4” long. So what is needed to run Jakes power kit? Is it not compatible with a stock cart? Could the Jakes spring be the reason why my cart is acting up? I just figured if it can’t take the spring, the clutches need upgrade, no?

Does it seem odd to you that a splined spacer was already on the cart and half moon key was gone?
Old 05-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #18
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

"The infamous white spring", classic problems for that stiff of a spring. Those springs have been notorious for causing clutches to not work correctly. I suppose if the clutch was "like new" maybe the white springs work ok, but still not good. That Umax spring will do you a favor! Dave in VA is a good guy, I bought the clutch in the pic.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #19
MattH
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
"The infamous white spring", classic problems for that stiff of a spring. Those springs have been notorious for causing clutches to not work correctly. I suppose if the clutch was "like new" maybe the white springs work ok, but still not good. That Umax spring will do you a favor! Dave in VA is a good guy, I bought the clutch in the pic.
No doubt, he has helped me a lot so far! I had no idea this would have been issue. So as long as my drive clutch and secondary sheaves are opening and closing properly my clutches are good? Could they still be bad or unlikely? I still need to figure out why I’m jerking from takeoff. I’ll take the spring Dave.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:18 AM   #20
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

One of the first things I do when looking at clutch operation is I put the rear of the cart on jack stands and run the engine. Watch the clutches. They should engage smoothly with no wobbles or noise. Run the engine at full throttle, the clutches should shift all the way without noise or wobbles, need to be smooth. You're also looking for the belt to ride all the way to the top of the primary clutch, which indicates that it's closing all the way. The secondary clutch open up and allow the belt to ride all the way down in the sheaves. Another thing is you can take a black Sharpie marker and draw lines on the clutch sheaves. After running the engine full throttle, look at the sheaves to see how far the black marks have been rubbed off, that will tell you how far the belt has traveled.

Make sure you use good quality jack stands under the rear end. Also make sure you use wheel chocks on the front tires to prevent the cart from rolling. Safety first!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha