lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #1
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

Default Help - Carb/Running Issues

1986 Gas EZGO

Was told it ran, it doesn’t. Cleaned out old fuel. Replaced fuel pump, fuel lines/filter, pulled carb and carb cleaned/blew out. Replaced old plug and wire. Replaced battery.

Wants to kick over. Starts then drops off. Tried adjusting the carb. No love. Any help appreciated. Video and some pictures attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8D646239-8BF5-435E-84E6-793E90DE2B7E.jpg (22.7 KB, 0 views)
NEMESIS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #2
newtjl
Gone Wild

Default Re: Help - Carb/Running Issues

Id look at compression first. Looking for 90 plus to run. Next make sure the throttle is opening enough when you push the pedal. Try choking on/off/and partially choked to see if that makes any difference. It could be starving for fuel or it could be flooding. Is the spark plug wet or dry when it dies? If you eliminate the carb as the problem, the next part is the fuel pump. You can rig a small bottle with fuel line and gravity feed the carb. If the cart runs like that, it indicates a fuel pump problem. The problem may not be the pump itself (which is new) but crankcase pressure which operates the fuel pump. These two strokes also have reed valves which can cause some fuel pressure problems so thats something to look at. Just one more thing. If you are mixing the oil and gas, the ratio is 128:1. Ive seen many people try 50:1 which is a very common ratio for small two stroke engines and they inevitably foul the plug.
newtjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

I pulled the fuel line from the carb and ran it into a cup, great fuel flow and pressure. Also checked the vacuum line that runs the fuel pump, has great suction.

Feathered both the throttle and choke about 30 different times. With choke out, I hit gas pedal and it roars to life, then just putters out.

Plug is dry and has good spark ( I shocked the **** out of myself lol).
Old 05-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

When you cleaned the carb, did you remove the brass center stem with all of the tiny holes? If not, you need to.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

I didn't. I'll pull it and do that now. Also going to test compression. Update soon
Old 05-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
When you cleaned the carb, did you remove the brass center stem with all of the tiny holes? If not, you need to.
How do I pull this apart without damaging gaskets. My understanding is there are no rebuild kits available for these.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The bowl has an O-ring. The stem has no gasket. The bowl retaining nut has a small gasket. Seat the bowl by hand and then tighten the nut. Don't crush the bottom of the bowl.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:11 PM   #8
NEMESIS9
Getting Wild

Pulled it back apart and cleaned the carb and pulled the jet and cleaned blew air thru.

Tested Compression. Compression reading at 130.

Could the exhaust be causing this? I'm about to Hulk smash this thing.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I don't like the 130 compression. That's a good indication of the piston being in backwards. Remove exhaust pipe. Look into the exhaust port. Move the piston up and down. If you see square holes in the piston, it's backwards.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Blowing air doesn't really help. Those tiny holes in the stem need carburetor spray cleaner.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO