lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
Monterey
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Exclamation 1998 G19E Charging only to 80% ????

Hello,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with my 1998 G19e charging. I'm pretty good with Club Car and EZGO carts but this is my first Yamaha. It WAS working fine when it was put away last winter and this spring it developed the following problem.

When charging after use, the charger goes through the normally flashing startup process and then settles down and begins charging. It eventually gets up to the yellow 80% point and then just continues to charge, not stopping. I've let it run for nearly 15 hours at this point and it doesn't stop charging. I've verified this with my multimeter. If I take it off the charger and wait 24 hours the batteries show 51 volts so I believe it's fully charged but the charger doesn't seem to think so. I can recreate the problem each time.

The batteries are dated 11/17 and each battery is holding 8.45 volts or so when the pack is at 51. All wires seem tight at the receptacle, solenoid, controller, and batteries.

Is this a controller issue? Charger? If not, any suggestions on where to start?

Thank you,
Scott
Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 1998 G19E Charging only to 80% ????

Seems like charger possibly. What's the max voltage reached while on charge?

I would suggest just trying to use the cart some, and try charging after each use (while keeping tabs on it).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #3
Monterey
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Default Re: 1998 G19E Charging only to 80% ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Seems like charger possibly. What's the max voltage reached while on charge?

I would suggest just trying to use the cart some, and try charging after each use (while keeping tabs on it).
Thank you so very much for the suggestions, I just cleaned ALL connections the best I could. I saw some suggestions in other posts to monitor the voltage while charging to see if the charger ever got up to it's limit. In inspecting the label on my Yamaha charger I don't see the upper voltage listed, instead I see the obvious 48V output. Is it listed elsewhere? I've attached my multimeter with clips so I can monitor the volts while charging. I also verified the battery pack voltage across the batteries equals that measured from the charging receptacle so I believe the wiring is correct.

Scott
Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha