lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
tanner1
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 brake adjustment

I have a 2015 drive that I set my brake pedal free play up to spec in the manual. Now i have to hit the gas hard to pop the pedal back. It does pop back all the way, but on an easy take off it sticks and causes the car to lurch. Is there a separate adjustment for this? or do I just back off the brake cable?
tanner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
tanner1
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G29 brake adjustment

I may have worded this wrong. The emergency brake will not immediately release when the gas pedal is depressed. if you hit the throttle hard to the floor, the brake pedal will pop back all the way. 1/4 to 1/2 way down for a smooth start and it does not release soon enough, or at all, causing a lurch. Free play seems to be within spec.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Did you adjust the brakes at the cable under the floor board?
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #4
tanner1
Not Yet Wild

Yes
Old 05-23-2020, 07:29 AM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner1 View Post
Yes
Well, theres your problem. Cable adjustment is not how you adjust brakes. Yes I know, 98% of all golf car shops and ,mechanics do that, but that creates many problems. The only reason for that adjustment is for cable stretch. With a 2015 cart, you have no cable stretch. By adjusting it there you are inducing cable stretch.
Undo what you did, and go to the service manual for proper adjustment.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
tanner1
Not Yet Wild

I don't have a service manual, just the OM. On page 8-11 it tells you the brakes are self adjusting. They were working but the brake pedal went down quite far I noticed, and the park brake wasn't releasing properly either. Page 8-12 gives you the free play spec of 20-25 mm(0.8-1") and has an illustration of adjusting this. I thought by adjusting the free play to proper spec it would correct the park brake issue. What I should have put in my earlier post is it made it a bit worse. I will back it off(out of spec) because I only adjusted it to 1" free play. I'd still like to know if there is something worn, or out of adjustment in the connection between gas pedal and brake release. Btw, this cart does not have the team transaxle with internal wet brake. I believe it is a Dana....... with external brake shoes and drums.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner1 View Post
I don't have a service manual, just the OM. On page 8-11 it tells you the brakes are self adjusting. They were working but the brake pedal went down quite far I noticed, and the park brake wasn't releasing properly either. Page 8-12 gives you the free play spec of 20-25 mm(0.8-1") and has an illustration of adjusting this. I thought by adjusting the free play to proper spec it would correct the park brake issue. What I should have put in my earlier post is it made it a bit worse. I will back it off(out of spec) because I only adjusted it to 1" free play. I'd still like to know if there is something worn, or out of adjustment in the connection between gas pedal and brake release. Btw, this cart does not have the team transaxle with internal wet brake. I believe it is a Dana....... with external brake shoes and drums.
Right, you said it was a 2015 so that brake shoes and drums, I stand behind my answer
Old 05-23-2020, 09:26 PM   #8
tanner1
Not Yet Wild

Ok. I will back off to more free play. i did find a youtube video telling you to leave 2 inches free play on a yamaha brake cable adjustment. That's probably near where it was when i started. Yamaha should edit their online OM's.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Different models, with different equipment had different pedal free play specs, from 0.9" to 1.875", the variations is correct, and the issue is likely you not having the correct manual. YouTube is NOT factory service information.

The correct spec for you is 0.9-1.0 inches.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #10
tanner1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Different models, with different equipment had different pedal free play specs, from 0.9" to 1.875", the variations is correct, and the issue is likely you not having the correct manual. YouTube is NOT factory service information.

The correct spec for you is 0.9-1.0 inches.
Yes i realize that Youtube is not a good place to get any information.
(for anything really) But the online manual is the correct one. it is for a 2015 yamaha drive which is what I own. It also gives the same free play spec as you just did. The park brake not releasing when it should, is the problem. I will be taking it apart next weekend to check for damaged or worn parts in the mechanism, and to back off the free play. I currently have it at an inch.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha