lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

Default Battery watering, balancing, charging concerns

Sorry if this has been extensively addressed. I read around for a bit but couldn't find any specifics.

1. I just realized that I have a charger that may not be tailored to my batteries. I have 8, 6v Trojan T-105's rated at 225ah/20hr & 185ah/5hr and a DPI Accusense charger, I believe it is Gen IV, which is rated for 200ah Trojan batteries. Is this a mismatched charger for my batteries?

2. I charged the pack overnight, it probably finished around midnight, and checked the voltages today around 3pm, so about 15 hours later. Starting from battery number #1 that has the main positive cable attached the voltages were: 6.41, 6.59, 6.66, 6.66, 6.68, 6.66, 6.65, 6.66, (52.97 total.) What is the proper method for balancing/equalizing the batteries. I don't believe my charger has this feature.

3. I was reading the Trojan maintenance sheet for the batteries and it states that the water level should be 1/8" below the top of the fill well. This seems quite a bit higher than what I have read on this form which is just above the plates. It looks like my middle cell in battery 1 is low which may be attributing to low voltage. The plates in the middle cell are covered, barely.

I'm coming from a gasser so all this electric stuff is new to me. I appreciate the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8DFDCD61-4801-4928-8191-C518354F57D4.jpeg (89.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpeg 40D4F8E2-0577-4155-A5A7-756E9C4FCD38.jpeg (196.2 KB, 0 views)
Mbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #2
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

Default Re: Battery watering, balancing, charging concerns

Measured batteries again after physically unplugging the charger for 17+ hours. Voltages now 6.25, 6.43, 6.47, 6.46, 6.46, 6.47, 6.48, 6.47. Regarding the balancing, can I simply use a 6/12v Schumacher battery charger to try and bring the low batteries up? Would a high or low amp charge be better?
Old 04-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can try the 6 volt charger on the 1 battery that's at 6.25 volts, I wouldn't bother with the other batteries as they are well within .1 volts and are charged to better than 100 % SOC...

I personally prefer to keep the water level closer to the 1/8" from the top of the neck/well than 1/8" over the plates as its just too *** risky to have a plate go exposed if your not keeping a super close watch on them...

One of the better methods of balancing would be to build a set of Passive Voltage Bypass for your batteries, do a search here and you will find information on how to build them.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll give it a go.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Regarding the watering....the "just above the plates" is the bare minimum. You have to make sure you have at lest that much so no plate is exposed. Then, AFTER CHARGING, you would top off to 1/8" below the inside of the vent tube.

Never fill before charging as it could cause excess gassing and venting.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #6
Mbop
Getting Wild

Star

Thanks for the feedback. After a full charge I topped the batteries off. They took a full gallon between all 8. Any input regarding the charger? It seems like it’s doing its job based on my voltages. The difference in amp hour between battery and charger is what is causing me confusion.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbop View Post
Thanks for the feedback. After a full charge I topped the batteries off. They took a full gallon between all 8. Any input regarding the charger? It seems like it’s doing its job based on my voltages. The difference in amp hour between battery and charger is what is causing me confusion.
Considering that 7 out of 8 batteries are charged above 100 percent I'd be inclined to believe that it is suitable as is...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay