lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #41
Spenda864
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Educate me on Star Carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
Spenda, am glad you got to try the Sirius....

It seems odd to me that the Sirius your dealer lent you is only attaining 20 mph....should be 25mph without any further intervention...Me thinks, but me could be wrong.

My Sirius is very spunky wanna get up n' go even going uphill ...and this while toting 8x6 Crown crv 260ah agms. 8 batteries x 79lbs each 632lbs. Over quarter ton...wow!

Your Sirius loaner....did it have spunkiness to it? Very subjective seat of the pants but would be nice to have your impression.

Curious though was the Sirius 2 or Sirius 2+2?

Mine has had bad brake squealing issues along with throbbing cyclic braking feeling if I apply the brakes hard. Brake and drums replaced...temporarily fixed but seems to be coming back.

Mine also seems to be beset by metalic clunking chunking noises as if rubber bushings were missing.

Dealer is aware of this.

Did your loaner exhibit any of this?

Thank you for sharing

Your feedback will be appreciated
The loaner had two forward facing seats and two rear facing seats. Its the same setup I ordered in the classic. This one was not an LSV so I was told it comes set to 20+/-mph. The dealer said they can easily alter this but that's what it was set to. LSV's come set to 25 or so and I am told they could bump it up to close to 30 without causing any issues.

The cart was quick. I test drove a classic that had a DC motor and it was no where near as spunky as the Siruis with the AC motor. The DC classic lost a ton of speed on the hills I went up. The Siruis was much better at handling even bigger hills. I have a few large, long hills around my house so this was a concern. The Siruis slowed down to about 13 or 14 going up the biggest hills.

I drove around almost all day Saturday and a bit Sunday in all kinds of places. I didn't notice any issues with the brakes nor did I hear any clunking sounds. The roof, etc. squeekes a good bit as in most carts but that was all.

The classic I ordered comes with an AC motor which I understand to be the same as the Siruis so I expect to be ok from a quickness standpoint. It seems to me that the differences between the Siruis and the new classic like I ordered is more to do with body and suspension than anything else. I found the dash display to not really be needed although it was pretty cool. The storage was very conviencent as well.

I think I have decided to add bluetooth speakers to my cart. I am also going to have them add an LED light strip to the rear of the roof to give me some greater vsibility from the rear. I think it will be pretty inexpenives and I would like more lighting on the back.
Spenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #42
Spenda864
Not Yet Wild

Do you have any thoughts on operating it in low or high speed mode? I had the Siruis in high the whole time. I am not sure what the point is of being able to turn it up or down. It seems to me you can just not push the accelerator as hard. Is there any other difference you know of? Does it change anything on hills, etc?
Old 12-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #43
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The high and low settings on the star classic would change the field current being applied to the motor. In high mode there was a lower field current so you can get higher speed. In low the field current would be set higher to.provide more torque. There are other things you can program into these settings that change the personality of the controller and motor functions. Its not just for high or low speed settings. With that stated I have not been to school on the ac motor systems yet. But I would suspect the high low settings can be used in a similar manner.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk
Phil_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #44
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Spenda, Phil-Billy again thank you...

As far as the turtle low speed mode...on my Sirius...acceleration top speed are significantly reduced...torque for climbing hills also reduced...
so rabbit mode is my default mode.....now during christmas I use turtle to
sloooow cruise enjoy the christmas lights...
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #45
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

your welcome Carts.. I would have to look at the program to see if there is any differences other than speed in the high / low mode settings.

one other note. I was reprogramming a customers cart and decided to see what the top speed was. I got the cart to run 29-30mph on a 6 pass with stock tires. I haven't tried in on the AC Classic cart yet, but suspect the results would not be much different.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #46
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Question for you Phil...

If ever I got the stupid silly notion and upgraded the controller to a 450
amp curtis type ( I realize upgrades should come as a system not just a single component)

How fast could the Sirius theoretically get to with its current ac motor?
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #47
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
Question for you Phil...

If ever I got the stupid silly notion and upgraded the controller to a 450
amp curtis type ( I realize upgrades should come as a system not just a single component)

How fast could the Sirius theoretically get to with its current ac motor?
Sirius carts come with a 450 amp Curtis controller. I am sure there are tweeks that can bring the speed up above 30 mph, I have not been trained on the AC Curtis controller and motors systems Star uses. if you make any changes to the controller or motor, etc.. it would void the warranty. one thing that Star does is stand behinds its warranty, I would wait until it expires before making any modifications.

I have done a few upgrades to Star Classics, for example installing a HPEVS AC Motor Kit. I had the cart going 45mph at 75% of output from controller/motor. very responsive, scary as f... to drive but worth it.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #48
Spenda864
Not Yet Wild

I have been really busy lately and haven't had a chance to get on here and tell you about my new cart. My 2020 Star Classic was supposed to be to me by Thanksgiving but the dealer messed up and I didn't get it until almost Christmas. They did give me a Sirius as a loaner until mine arrived though.

Siruis: I really liked getting to drive one for a couple of weeks. I liked the gadgets that come on these things but a lot of them seemed to be cool but certinaly not needed. For instance, the display is nice and having a speedo is handy but do I really need to know if I am going 18 or 19mph. The ride was very smooth for a cart and the steering was good as well. Much better than almost any cart I've ever driven. I like the look of the Siruis and all the storage that it comes with.

Classic: I ended up with a Classic that is as close to a Sirius as you can get. Meaning I have 8 batteries and the AC motor. Performance wise it is equal to the Siruis as far as I can tell. The main differences are the in the suspension and handling. Mine rides like a typcial cart and you can feel every bump and rough patch you hit. It also feels a bit squrrielly when moving at speed. Since mine is an LSV, it runs between 20-24 mph pretty easily. At those speeds, it isn't always pleasant to steer with all the play in the wheel and the general handing of it. I am getting used to it but I do wish it were a bit better on the road.

I added a couple of things to my cart that were not standard. I had the dealer install bluetooth handlebar speakers for a motorcycle under the front edge of the roof. I also had the dealer take a led light strip that is used for pickup tailgates and had them mount it along the back edge of the roof. Its connected to my headlights, brake lights and turn signals. It greatly increases the visiblity of my cart when on the road. I noticed that when passengers were sitting on the back, their legs blocked my tail lights too much for my liking. As mine is an LSV, I drive it downtown and after dark at times so I like the increased lighting.

All in all I am pleased thus far. I am thinking of ways to possibly improve handling but it may not be possible. Also, I am thinking of adding a front to the dashboard so I can close the glove boxes, etc. It would be nice to put my registration, insurance, etc in there without worrying about it.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:17 PM   #49
brpeddicord
Not Yet Wild

Is there a way to look at a Star VIN and determine year or model, etc? I found a used one for what I think is a great price but want to find out more about it before I purchase and the owner doesn't know too much about it.

Spenda864, I live in Greer.
brpeddicord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #50
Spenda864
Not Yet Wild

brpeddicord, I live downtown Gville and go to Greer fairly often. Mine has a VIN becuase it is an LSV and not a "golf cart." Do you know what year it is? I learned a fair bit about Star carts when I was researching mine. I might be able to tell from some pics.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay