lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
numbbers
Not Yet Wild

Default Thinking of big block upgrade

I live in a golf cart community, and have a road licensed 95 Yamaha g14, with a custom body/paint scheme. But, the exhaust smell is terrible. My wife has COPD, and the fumes are too much for her. So, I was thinking of installing a big block to improve performance and hopefully less exhaust smell. Good idea, or bad idea? How hard is the install? I am 72 years old, and good mechanically, but don't have much strength left.
numbbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2018, 09:19 PM   #2
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Thinking of big block upgrade

Get a Vegas carts kit then so it’s drop in and go mostly
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Unless the engine is putting out excess fumes due to needing a rebuild a clone won't help. Most stock golf carts have an exhaust system that does a poor job getting the exhaust away from the passengers.

I would look into how to possibly route the tailpipe further out the back of the cart, away from the seating areas.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I have a 95 G 14 with the vegascarts 460 swap in it. I was 63 when doing the swap. I did it in an afternoon.The most physical part is removing the old engine as the new unit is more or less installed in pieces into the cart.See Vegascarts installation pics by clicking their site from the sponsors link above. Really could not be more pleased with the outcome. But your stock engine shouldn't produce anymore fumes than a big block swap unless it isn't properly tuned or the oil control piston rings are worn a common problem on the G2-14 yamahas. P.S. I was able to part out the G14's engine on Bay for a total of $950. The ignition parts in particular sold VERY quickly for 1/2 list price.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Come on guys, stop trying to put him off and read between the lines! He wants a big block cart and he has the perfect excuse to persuade his wife with her COPD. If he gets away with it then he can play at being 17 again instead of 70. LOL

So go big block, big lift, big tires and a big sound system. You my friend have earned it!!!
Cartmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbbers View Post
I live in a golf cart community, and have a road licensed 95 Yamaha g14, with a custom body/paint scheme. But, the exhaust smell is terrible. My wife has COPD, and the fumes are too much for her. So, I was thinking of installing a big block to improve performance and hopefully less exhaust smell. Good idea, or bad idea? How hard is the install? I am 72 years old, and good mechanically, but don't have much strength left.
I'm 69 with COPD and I purchased an engine kit from Vegas Carts and it was fall down easy to install.
Completely changed the cart to boot. As one of my brothers said as he was taking it for a test drive this ain't no golf cart anymore. I just smiled.

Vegas Carts are an Awesome company to do business with. Love 'm

http://www.vegascarts.com/
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

Is the cart lifted?
Does it have the big tires and wheels?
If the car is not lifted meaning pretty much stock, I would not big block it, I would do like one of our other members said, maybe buy some flex pipe attached it to your existing exhaust and move it away from the cart.
But if you're just wanting to put an engine in, there are many different options,
Single cylinder, V-Twin, different installation kits,
Do your homework, what might work for someone else, might not work for you.
For me it was not so much the engine choice, as it was ease of installation. I wanted something that you could just drop in, and turn the key and it starts.
Ease of installation what's the selling point for me
Just something to think about?
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:53 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Just some clarity here. With either of the Vegascarts kits a lift kit is NOT required.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #9
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Just some clarity here. With either of the Vegascarts kits a lift kit is NOT required.
And for older folks the lift could or would be a turn off
I know all my brothers, '5' with the youngest 65YO and they all don't really care for my lifted cart. Say they like the stock ones as they're easier to get on and off of. My self I like my lifted cart because of what I use it for. if I only used it for driving on the street I'd probably never have lifted it.
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #10
HBR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbbers View Post
I live in a golf cart community
Is noise going to be a problem?
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!