lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
Mister Fister
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Big block vs stock upgrade

Just wanting to get some input on this. I have a 2011 Yamaha G29 that I recently acquired. I just ordered a Jake's LT lift and will be running 23" or 24" tires. I know the stock g29 engine is kind of a pig from the factory so I am thinking about contacting Plowman's to see what can be done to speed it up. However, last night I started thinking "Is it really worth it to invest $500-$600 in a 5+ year old fleet engine?" I then thought about scrapping the whole upgrade idea and going with a Vegas Cart's 460cc BB clone. Right now it looks like I can get an entire BB kit for my g29 for right around $1270 after promo code and that is including a quiet pipe. No here's the kicker. I don't really have a solid philosophy of use... I live in a golf cart community so this will be my back and forth to the pool and beer grabber. It will see a bit of offroad but not much. I am just looking for some opinions...
Mister Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Big block vs stock upgrade

Well, the first thing i would comment is that the "Quiet Walker Muffler" is NOWHERE near "Stock" quiet ... The RLV is worse, yes - but the walker is still pretty close to "Lawnmower" loud. The far back end of my property (about 3/4 mile from the house) is adjacent to small subdivision and I won't drive my BB with the Walker on the trails back there after dark, just out of courtesy to the neighbors if that gives You an idea ...

Don can do wonders with the 357's and even moreso with the poor stock drivetrain, You're looking at probably a minimum 50% gain in accel and takeoff power along with a 30mph-ish top end with his setup *but* most importantly You're at basically stock noise levels, even with his custom muffler (his muffler changes the tone, but adds almost no volume) - Just some food for thought. I Love Don's products and have used them extensively, I also Love my BB's *but* as soon as You said "Community* ... Not sure how things are where You live, but here in WI in most campgrounds and communities that allow Golf Carts, the Big Blocks always get the "Ooohs and Aaaaahs" but inevitably someone complains, that's why many campgrounds here have either banned non-stock engines or gas carts entirely, or at least that's what I'm hearing more and more.

I hate leaning away from recommending the Big Block, it's a complete change of how You think about your cart, LOL - but in your case I might consider the Plowmans option.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
HBR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
You're looking at probably a minimum 50% gain in accel and takeoff power along with a 30mph-ish top end with his setup
How are 30mph speeds achieved - high speed gears, changes in clutch ratios or is the engine running at high rpms?
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBR View Post
How are 30mph speeds achieved - high speed gears, changes in clutch ratios or is the engine running at high rpms?
I have Don's Performance Kit on a G22, with the governor arm drilled out. It does 30.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Hot Set-up...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
HBR
Gone Wild

So then the increase in speed is coming from upping the rpm's only? How many rpm's does it take to get to 30mph?
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #6
Dave in VA

Yamaha

No idea on the RPM's. Bigger jets, increased airflow and 22" tires. You can't hold it wide open going down a hill, or you'll float the valves. Gotta listen to the engine.

No desire to really go that fast, but it does get up there...
Old 12-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Fister View Post
Just wanting to get some input on this. I have a 2011 Yamaha G29 that I recently acquired. I just ordered a Jake's LT lift and will be running 23" or 24" tires. I know the stock g29 engine is kind of a pig from the factory so I am thinking about contacting Plowman's to see what can be done to speed it up. However, last night I started thinking "Is it really worth it to invest $500-$600 in a 5+ year old fleet engine?" I then thought about scrapping the whole upgrade idea and going with a Vegas Cart's 460cc BB clone. Right now it looks like I can get an entire BB kit for my g29 for right around $1270 after promo code and that is including a quiet pipe. No here's the kicker. I don't really have a solid philosophy of use... I live in a golf cart community so this will be my back and forth to the pool and beer grabber. It will see a bit of offroad but not much. I am just looking for some opinions...
In a community atmosphere, anything much louder than stock will probably piss the neighbors off.

http://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts.c...1459971636&v=2

A lot of bang for the buck...

I've got a Vanguard and a "stock" 357. Prefer the G22 for cruising...
Old 12-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I have a VC 460 in my G14 that I drive in a residential area.I started with the RLV which was very LOUD.Then tried a series of mufflers as told in my "clone exhaust" thread in the clone section of this site. If you read thru it enough I ended up using a flowmaster hushpower atv muffler.Alas this is no longer available.BUT if something happened to this muffler I would try a Kolpin or some other ATV silencer.If I were to have to build another cart for the neighborhood here it would be another VC 460 just not with one of their supplied mufflers.P.S. My cart is about as quiet as my plowman's muffled stock G14 was and a whole lot faster with replacement engine parts a whole lot cheaper. I now have over 170 hours on this cart with the clone all all of them in neighborhood cruising.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBR View Post
So then the increase in speed is coming from upping the rpm's only? How many rpm's does it take to get to 30mph?
With the "Hot Setup" the factory governor is completely 100% bypassed (not just turned up) and the engine is tuned to breathe better and rev much higher with a bored and jetted carb, high-flow exhaust, and correct performance tuning which Don leads You through on the phone. To use that extra HP and RPM, the driven clutch is replaced with machined sheaves to increase final ratio, and refitted with a custom spring specific to your needs (which Don will go over with You extensively when You order the kit). Oh, You also get a severe-duty belt that's a bit shorter than stock to get the power bak to that clutch setup ... We did a G22 last summer with 8:1 gearing and the "Hot Setup" (white spring if I remember) and it held 38 on the flat pavement all day long without a struggle on 21" tires.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

All I am going to add here is that a lot of big block engine swaps costing from $1000-3000 are often finished off with some POS muffler because it is cheap. Then get the label of being too loud for residential cruising.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!