lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
ronc54
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 Tomberlin new batteries, charging voltage question

Newbie here and to golf carts. Just bought a 2010 Tomberlin emerge 500 with the delta q quiq charger model 912-4800. Seller said new batteries were installed about 8 months ago, they are FVP Volt Edge part# fvpgc8-875wngtrj. Date code shows manufacture in 11-14 and shipping sticker shows delivered to dealer 1/21/15 so checks out with sellers info.
Cart runs great will go 25-26 on the flat and hold steady 14 up steep hill with two people on board.
I determined the battery algorithm was set at 71 which appears to be default for Trojan. Checked battery voltage with Fluke digital meter and finish phase would go to about 67.5 volts before shutting off. Talked to Delta Q and they suggested I use algorithm 1 since the charger has temp compensation (verified it is connected) and batteries seem to be Trojan T875 equivalents (if not quality) specs are identical.
Now have it set at algo 1 and finish charge kicks off at around 63.6 to 63.8 with shorter time gassing. After 12 hours open circuit battery voltage is 8.74 or 8.75 on all batteries so they are equal.
Water levels are good and after running batteries to about 25% discharge (75% charged) the total charge cycle only takes about three hours.

Questions is does this voltage seem a little high, possibly overcharging?FVP states they are equivalent to Trojan T875. Thanks
If so what algorithm would be best for these batteries.
ronc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: 2010 Tomberlin new batteries, charging voltage question

Welcome to BGW

In fact, the charger may have to take a 48V battery pack up to 67V, or above, to fully charge it.
On the other hand, 59V may fully charge a 48V battery pack.
The voltage it takes to fully charge a 48V battery pack depends on who manufactured the batteries in the pack as well as their age and condition.

Here is Trojan's recommended charge curve for a single (2V) deep cycle wet cell. There are 24 cells in a 48V battery pack, so do the math and you get 58.80V to 66.96V. However, Trojan uses an electrolyte that is 27.7% sulfuric acid by weight (SG = 1.277) and other battery manufacturers use different concentrations, so the on-charge voltage that is typically reached when their batteries are fully charged, will be higher or lower.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
ronc54
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, seems like algorithm 1 is probably best for these batteries. Thought I knew enough about batteries but learning more now that I have an electric vehicle. Noticed that FVP advertises these batteries as lead calcium alloy grid so I did some research. Lead calcium has some advantages over lead antimony such as lower self discharge and less watering, especially as they get older. Disadvantage seems to be cycle life, lead antimony grid seems better. Trojan T875 appear to be lead antimony according to their ads. Seems to me that as long as you check your batteries often the lead antimony will last longer.
Will be interesting to see how these last. Our usage (lake cart to get to marina and around neighborhood) will rarely discharge more than 25% so maybe that will help with battery life.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
ronc54
Not Yet Wild

Update on battery voltage after 36 hours with no charge/discharge. Each battery is now either 8.69 or 8.70 volts, 52.2 volts for the pack. Key off, tow/run switch in tow position, about 45 degrees F in garage.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #5
rib33024

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin