lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default XRT 950 clutch questions

I am still working on this XTR 950.The cart runs fine at idle and you can put it into drive just fine. However when you put it into drive you have to raise the RPMs almost 1/3 of the throttle in order to get the the clutch to grab.

Then when it grabs, it is the neck snapping kind of grab.

This is one of the 4x4 carts, and I am afraid that the hard starts will break a shaft or something else.

I pulled the cover off the clutch assembly to the point where I can see inside. I can see no issues that were obvious.

I saw that the belt was very tight. The belt was a at the bottom of the drive clutch and at the very top of the driven clutch, to the point of extending past the top of the sheeves.1/8 of an inch.

This is a 2016 model

This is a 2016 model

The belt appeared to be a extreme duty belt.
I measured the belt.It was 43 inches long and 1,3/8 inches wide.

Any idea why I would need to have to raise the RPMs so high in order to activate this clutch ?
reggie dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: XRT 950 clutch questions

The clutch is sticking and probably needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Usually this indicates wear of the clutch slides and possibly wear of the center shaft of the clutch or the bushings in the moveable sheave.
If the sheaves have a wavy appearance the clutch should be replaced.
If they still have flat surfaces (not grooved or wavy) then the clutch can probably be rebuilt. Disassemble the clutch and check the center shaft for wear, groove marks, and scoring.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
reggie dunlop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I was able to see the driven clutch fairly good. The ramps looked to be in great shape, and the nylon buttons were also in great shape, as were the sheaves.
I checked the sheaves on the drive clutch. They appear to be in good condition, not wavy or worn.
I did lube the driven clutch and spray it with some dry lube spray and that appears to have helped somewhat.

In order to do this you have to remove that enclosure that surrounds both the drive and the driven clutch. You need to take off the shock etc. what a pain.
That being said I put it back together and ,as I said it helped.
I will us it for a short while and if no improvement, a new clutch is in my future, as I feel the driven clutch if fine.

Thanks Fairtax4me,

Reggie
reggie dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #4
sayulero
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I just bought an xrt950 2009 with just 110 hours on it. It drives exactly the way you described yours does. Have to give it about 1/3 throttle for the clutch to engage. Have you decided that your problem is with the clutches? both or one? Not the belt? trying to get as much info as I can before I take things apart! lol
sayulero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:46 PM   #5
highpressuresteam
Not Yet Wild

were you able to solve the problem? I have the same problem. Abt 850 hours.
highpressuresteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car