lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default 20hp Briggs "stumbles" on aceleration ?

Hey guys....My Briggs seems to "stumble" on acceleration, expecially when cold. When it gets warmed up ,it seems smoother thru the RPM range. I've taken apart the carb and cleaned it. Any suggestions ? Thanks Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
shawn.m
Gone Wild

Default Re: 20hp Briggs "stumbles" on aceleration ?

mine has a stumble that has not gone away with a carb clean and richening up the idle. I think the the reason is that you only have a idle jet and main jet. I have the dual bore carb. I keep thinking of sending my carb off to ECC to get it fixed.

Our motors really are not designed to do part throttle if you think about it. they are designed to idle and then go full thorttle
shawn.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
bboyter
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I have an 18 that I put the two barrell carb on as well as billet everything on the inside. It had a stumble and I got an EC carb, I immediately got 700-800 more rpm's and no hesitation at all. I didnt send my carb to them just bought one from them.. I should have sent it off, the one I got back was a little different and I had to do some modifying to get it to work. I will say they make a carb scream.....
bboyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
shawn.m
Gone Wild

bboyter how is the mid range acceleration? How much more hp do you think the carb gave you? how much was the carb? The stock two barrel carb off the 20hp is very hard to find. most of the carbs that I have seen modifed are the new style.
I would be very interested in seeing your pictures on how you modified your throttle cable setup
Old 10-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
bboyter
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I will take some pictures of it. I originally had the one barrell on my 18 and ordered the two barrell from performancevtwins. It really helped my cart in the mid range but it did not help it on top end that much. When I got the EC carb it looks like it was really setup for a push pull throttle from a mower. It had a similar body but the throttle adjustement screw was on the carb itself, on my two barrell (mikuni) that I got from performance vtwins the throttle adjustment was on the 90 degree turn down. I had to cut off the throttle adjustment on the new carb and then grind down the carb throttle lever so that the arm would fit on it. I then put performance v twins air filter adapter back on it. As you have seen by Franks Carb pic it has the throttle liine hole in it that hooks up to the throttle lever. I will take a pic in a few and post it later this evening.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
bboyter
Getting Wild

Yamaha

here are some pictures of my carb, also I did not answer your question about the mid range of the cart after the carb. I will have to say the carb pretty much improved the cart from low mid and high range. It has a lot better acceleration with no stumble and you can really feel it stronger at about 4000 RPM's and it added more rpms in the top end.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Thanks for the pic's and info. As I undertsand..The 18 hp was a single carb, the 20 hp was the same block, but had the 2 barrell. My carb looks just like the one you have and I also have the performance V adapter, Who and where are EC ? Thanks again Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0509Image0007 (Small).JPG (63.2 KB, 47 views)
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
bboyter
Getting Wild

Yamaha

http://www.eccarburetors.com/

This is their web site, they are happy to talk shop anytime I have called them. If you send your carb to them you wouldnt have to make all the mods I had to make to get it to work but I wanted to keep using my cart during the process. I wish I would have taken a picture of the inside of the carb. It was amazing how much they opened up this carb. They polished it up nicely also. They removed the choke from it also, I never even had a choke hooked up so it did not matter to me.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
bboyter
Getting Wild

Yamaha

You can see some of the differences if you look closely. Your idle jets have the black tabs on them and they go in at an angle, while the jets on the new carb go in straight up and down. If you sent your carb off you would not have to make any mods but hey that is half the fun.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
shawn.m
Gone Wild

i have the same carb as smallblock450sl
I have talked to George at ECC before. He was saying they would start at about $175 for a mild carb job. They are really nice guys to talk to. It would nice to get rid of my mid range bog and get the throttle response back where it is supposed to be.

see the recipe I posted as the sticky. Most of the parts are from ECC

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...nce-parts.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!