lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
littleboots
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Charging system help. BS vtwin 18hp

So I installed a Briggs 18hp v twin a few years back (thanks tom!! CPP) and it seems I keep having the same problem... Dead battery. I purchased a new RV marine battery this past week and the kids drove the cart for a few days and towards the end of the weekend it didn't seem to be charging enough to turn the starter (or kick out starter gear). I put it on charger and it works fine for a few more days.

I have a stereo with small 2 channel amp and some LED Rigid lights on it.

I'm not good with electrical but can figure it out. How do I check how many amps are being produced by engine to charge battery. I'm thinking I'm pulling too many amps and the charging system can't keep up. Is there an upgrade path that I can go with (larger charging system)?

Any help is appreciated the cart is at our river house and I'm going to get it next weekend to bring it home to mess with. Just want to know where I should start. Maybe I have the charging system wired wrong.

Thanks again!!

It's on a yamaha g9.

Last edited by littleboots; 05-29-2014 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Add things
littleboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: Charging system help. BS vtwin 18hp

You probably have a 16 amp charging system. You can use a DC clamp-on ammeter(yes, they make them) to check the draw, or an in-line ammeter on the output of the regulator. The charging system will not output if it is not connected to a battery that has at least 5 volts.

I would seriously doubt that you are pulling enough current that it wouldn't allow the battery to charge. Is the regulator body grounded to the motor, which is grounded to the battery? The regulator body must be at ground potential, and the output of the regulator should go to the positive side of the battery through a 20amp fuse. A 15amp fuse will be problematic.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
littleboots
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

When I get the cart home I will be digging into it. Thanks Marathon for the guidance. I'll be posting soon.
littleboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Another way to check is put your meter on the battery so you see ~12v. When you start it up then should see the same or more, it should charge and show more voltage as rpm go higher (fast idle or more) up to about 13.5 or so. That tells you it is charging you need that much to put a charge into a 12v battery. You can turn on your stuff and see if it goes back to ~12v that would show you are using up all the power generated. If it goes under 12 you are using it all plus some from the battery.

Now if you don't see 13 or more volts then you have no charging. Check for AC voltage if you see lots of that then odds are the VR is bad and the coil on the flywheel is working. If you see no AC then find the wires to the VR from the flywheel and check those for AC power. Some cheap meters don't read AC that well outside 50/60 Hz but should show something. Many will show a little AC voltage when working properly but there are many different designs.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!