lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #71
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Primer / Sealer

- Do I need to remove all of the gray primer? It's been on there for at least 8 years.
- Do I need to mix the PPG differently due to painting Fiberglas?
- Should I spray thin coats because of the flex in the body?
- I'm assuming I should spray a DP white seal coat?
- Can I just spray the sealer over the sanded down body, or do I need to put high build on it?

Personally I would sand off as much primer as you can without breaking through the original sealer that is covering the fiberglass. The reason I say that is because if it is a acrylic enamel primer the urethane based paints could possibly eat into it. You don't have to remove every speck of it but as much as you can.

You can mix and spray your paint the same as normal. If you would like you could add a flex additive in the paint to give it more flex.

spray the repaired spots with high build and sand. You can then go and spray your sealer over all of it. When doing so fog the area of repair a couple time first and let that dry a bit. If you pound on to much sealer in those areas it will create a ring around the repaired areas.

Painting fiberglass is really no different than painting metal. It is the repair and prep that is a little different.

Good luck and let me know if you have anything else.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #72
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks. Finding the time and cooperative weather will be the challenge! We are neck deep in Fall sports right now..... Never a dull moment, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
aacorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #73
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

BTW, both boys are quite the tech - they put their timeslips (their car and their competitor's cars) into an app called dragslip analyzer and it plays back the run for them so they can visually see the difference in reaction times, stripe strategy etc.

And, Danny is a wiz at downloading the data from the onboard computers and pulling up the graphs so we can see what's going on...

It's good to have helpers!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #74
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Master, I'm rethinking my plan - I'm concerned that the repair will show through because the final color will be a bright white which will be reflective, especially with a clear coat.

So, I'm thinking of going back to my typical sequence - tell me if this is overkill:

- sand off all of the rattle can primer
- shoot a coat of DP90LF (not as a sealer), hoping this black base will really cover the repair area
- shoot a coat of K36 high build
- shoot a coat of DP50LF as a sealer
- base
- clear

Too much paint?
Old 10-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #75
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I personally would skip the first step of the DP 90. The high build primer will definetly cover the repair area. Just go light on the first coat around the repaired areas. Usually I just dust a couple coats around the repair area and let it dry. Then come back and put on your normal coats everywhere. Other than that it sounds good.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #76
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Ok thanks, will def skip the DP90 step.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #77
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

So, next issue.

I must have driven over some really harsh roads on that racing trip to Englishtown because, not only did Danny's Jr come loose but the umbrella's I store in the rain channels of the golf cart roof came down as well. One of the umbrella's came down point first onto the hood of the golf cart, causing this:

The chip is all the way to the K36, so I'm assuming that some USC Icing is the only way to repair that?

The scratch is deep enough to catch my fingernail, but I was hoping to just we sand it and hand buff it?

Or, is it best to simply fill the chip, and respray base & clear? I've never blown in a spot repair before so I'm not sure how complicated it is to blend...

Any advice?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #78
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would start with if possible take the panel and lay it flat. Take some high build primer and fill the chip with a small brush. Just kind of make a puddle you can wet sand flat afterward. If you sealed the panel after primer and before paint try to mix in some of the sealer to get the same shade as what you sealed it with. The closer you get the primer color to what is under the base the better. You can then wet sand the primer with 600 flat to the clear. Keep the repaired area as small as possible when sanding.

You then want to wet sand the long scratches for buffing "but don't buff it". Go back and spray the chip area " with reduced air to minimize overspray" starting in the center to cover it and then blend outward about 2 or 3 inches. Spray on the clear doing the same blending out making sure you go an inch or two past the base color One coat regular mix of clear but the second coat thin it out with reducer by about 50%. Now be careful when spraying this because it will be much thinner.

When you wet sand the area for buffing just do it normal but make sure you don't sand the edges of the clear back to the color area. Buff the entire area and you will see a slight ring around it but it won't be that bad.

Or you can do the primer trick with a brush sand it flat blend out a bigger area with color and then re clear the whole panel.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #79
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks master66, I'll have to think over the options - but I'm liking the second one a bit more regarding clear coating the entire panel. Given my skill set with auto painting, that option might be better suited for me - especially if I'm going to remove the hood anyway.

Just need time and weather to cooperate....
Old 11-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #80
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Master, is it safe to use lacquer thinner on the Jr Dragster body to remove the last remnants of rattle can primer? Could it negatively affect the gel coat and cause issues when I lay down the K36?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint