lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Primer / Sealer

Currently prepping my g16 for base/clear paint (PPG), and planned the following order:

1. clean
2. scuff with scotch brite
3. fill nicks/scratches with 'Icing', sand smooth
4. clean
5. tack
6. seal with DP90LF
7. color (shop line:mazda metallic burgundy)
8. clear (shop line)

Now that I've filled the blemishes with Icing, I'm hesitant about just going straight to the DP90LF seal coat. I would much rather shoot a good coat of sandable primer (K36) and give it a nice final dry sand with 400 grit paper.

1. Can I shoot another coat of K36 as a sealer?
2. Do you sand the seal coat?
3. Does the sealer color effect the shade of the color coat, ie; will the metallic burgundy look better laid over the light gray K36 vs the black DP90?
4. What spray tip is best for primer vs. base coat vs. clear coat (using a Devillbis HVLP gun)?

Will post pics of finished product! I'm spraying the golf cart to get back into the 'practice' of painting, as I have a few other 'projects' in the near future!
aacorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Primer / Sealer

Currently prepping my g16 for base/clear paint (PPG), and planned the following order:

1. clean
2. scuff with scotch brite
3. fill nicks/scratches with 'Icing', sand smooth
4. clean
5. tack
Adhesion promoter
6. seal with DP90LF Go with three coats of the K36 or Ultimate 2K high build primer then sand smooth with 320 to 400 with orbital sander.
7. color (shop line:mazda metallic burgundy)
8. clear (shop line)

Now that I've filled the blemishes with Icing, I'm hesitant about just going straight to the DP90LF seal coat. You are correct high build primer required instead of sealer. I would much rather shoot a good coat of sandable primer (K36) and give it a nice final dry sand with 400 grit paper.

1. Can I shoot another coat of K36 as a sealer? No this is designed to go over the high build primer.
2. Do you sand the seal coat? Only if you let it sit for more than a couple of days. If so just scuff with scotch brite.
3. Does the sealer color effect the shade of the color coat, ie; will the metallic burgundy look better laid over the light gray K36 vs the black DP90? Yes the sealer will effect the color. If you want the burgundy to pop more go with white sealer.
4. What spray tip is best for primer vs. base coat vs. clear coat (using a Devillbis HVLP gun)? The tip depends on the gun but you use a larger tip for high build primer than you do for base and clear. I use a 1.3 or 1.4 for base and clear and slightly thinned sealer, and a 1.7 for primer.

Will post pics of finished product! I'm spraying the golf cart to get back into the 'practice' of painting, as I have a few other 'projects' in the near future!
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry I tried to do my answers in red but screwed it up so make sure you read carefully.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Excellent - thanks for the answers. I found a tech sheet for spraying K36 as a wet-on-wet sealer, but it looks pretty complicated and required additional chemicals that I've not used before as well as some type of tinting. More than I'm willing to tackle right now, I'll revert back to DP as the sealer of choice.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you haven't already bought the K36 primer you could try Ultimate 2K from Mar Hyde. It is much cheaper but sands awesome, I have been using it for years. It is like the old K200 that PPG used to have. Just a thought and happy painting.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the suggestion, and will likely try the Mar Hyde in the future. As of now, I stick to PPG solely because I've only painted a couple of cars and that is all I know how to mix! I only dropped down a notch this time around to the Shop Line brand of PPG due to cost, especially since I was trying to match the race car and learned that the race car was painted with the tri-coat Hellfire paints!

I do already have the K36, 201 and DT reducers, (and DP90LF) and was told that I could shoot the Shop Line brand over the top of the K36/DP - would you agree with that?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As long as it is the same type of system like base/clear, poly eurethane you should be fine, Just make sure it is because of course I give no guarentees they are compatible. I will look it up tomorrow to make sure.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Ok, I appreciate it!

Quick 'before' photo, we use our cart to pull a Jr Dragster around the pits - as well as just general all around fun! Next year we will be pulling two Jr Dragsters with it, and eventually 3 when my youngest turns 8!

Last edited by aacorp; 11-15-2012 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Added pictures
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So I checked out the Shop Line brand and it is a PPG product so you will be just fine putting it over PPG primers and sealers.
And the Jr dragster is very cool, I am a huge drag racing fan and taking it to the NHRA events is one of the things I also use my cart for. One of my good buddies is the division 6 director so he always gets me a golf cart pass for the National events and my wife and I just love it.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
aacorp
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Good news on the compatibility, appreciate it. I have no illusions of being a painter, thus am full of questions - hope you don't mind!

I initially planned to paint this cart in early Spring, and bought everything that I needed for the project. Being an NHRA fan I'm sure you can appreciate how the cart project was instantly deprioritized when we were struggling with the engine/clutch setup this Spring - and then broke a valve spring, .... yada, yada. Now, 123 runs later, the cart project is back on, but the weather is drastically different and I bought chemicals for 70 degree temps and I want to use them in 50 degree temps.

So, can I shoot paint / reducers that are intended for warmer temps & 'slow' ranges when it is this cool in Pennsylvania? I was planning to double+ the dry time between coats, will that suffice?

I would leave the project till next Spring, but I'm planning to buy another Jr within the next few weeks - and I'll need to paint this one ---> next Spring!

BTW, as much as I like drag racing, I'm not a drag racer myself. So, my son and I are learning together (primarily by losing - for now!). It sure is fun though, not many 8 year olds are doing 51mph in 660', and then going 75mph at age 10! Car runs a 1.96 60'!!

Oh, and he's learning to shoot PPG as well :) We have a joint project: '69 Nova SS396

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint