lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2021, 07:52 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default New project: Caroche

Always wanted one of these! Body is in great shape but the paint job is awful.

It does have 2019 Trojan batteries. But every one of them was completely dead and low on water. I filled them up and got them to take a charge. Not a great charge but I don’t know if that’s the batteries, or the charger that came with the cart… it’s an industrial charger if some sort.

The cables are probably some of the worst I’ve seen. But no big deal I’ve got lots and lots of 4AWG so easy fix.

New wires, and *some* charge on the batteries (the charger seems to max out around 38.5V). I did take it for a spin around my neighborhood and it drives! About a mile and a half on it and it holds a charge and a load pretty good. May be hope for these batteries…

Started removing some of the extra wiring I don’t know what it goes to. I found a solid core residential wire going to the headlights and it’s got train horns I plan to remove. No clue what wires go there or to the lights under it, all coming out. Start over from scratch. Brakes are MEGA touchy. Need to adjust them a bit plus the brake and gas pedal sticks. Lots of work to come but it’s a solid cart and definitely worth bringing back to its former glory
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2021, 12:07 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: New project: Caroche

Has anyone ever put a rear seat on a caroche? Or know how similar the frame is to a DS maybe a DS seat would work? I haven’t gotten far enough to take the body off yet, just thinking ahead :)
Old 10-12-2021, 01:47 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Keep us updated. I have always wanted one of these too.

If those batteries can be saved I know you can do it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:49 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I would throw a back-to-back charge on them now.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #5
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

now theres the pic i wanted . I would love to have an old caroche
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I would throw a back-to-back charge on them now.
I’ve charged and charged, but don’t know that I trust this charger. Is a 36v 30 amp charger, definitely gets em churning but even after hours only reads at 38.5v. I don’t know the specs of it, but have reached out to MAC for information. Time will tell if I ever get a response… I’ve ordered a 5amp cheapie charger from Amazon to try out and use that for the “finishing/float” phase. If that works out I’ll just get a good 36v charger.

Can’t help but wonder how this thing would fare if I dropped one of my 48v allieds in it but don’t want to risk it, probably burn or blow something up. It’s 40+ years old and looks like mostly if not all original. The fact it runs and drives as good as it does is impressive enough. Guess “they don’t build em like they used to”
Old 10-12-2021, 05:29 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Nice find! Looks like a good project man!
Always thought those things were ugly as sin, but I'd still buy one if I found one.
Charger may have a bad capacitor that won't let it bring the voltage up any higher. It's got LEDs on it so it can't be all that old (compared to the cart).

I bet that duct tape mod on the motor adds 2hp!
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:31 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

not sure why the duct tape is on the motor. Guessing the dust caps for the brush inspection holes are missing but that’s just a guess, I haven’t even bothered to look. I’ve just been getting the wiring sorted out and replacing anything that’s no bueno. Ugly, yes but there’s something I think is really cool about it. Can’t find a serial number on it to save my life either…

I think the charger is all hacked up inside to be honest, and all the circuit board stuff with the LED’s probably just jumpers and bypassed. For the time being it will work if the cheapie Amazon one will do the “finishing” work. After all, they did ditch the crows foot port for a welding outlet

Still, can’t complain. Been a while since I took in a project :) I did take it for a couple mile ride today. Started at 36.7v and after getting back and letting it sit for 15 minutes was at 36.5v so I think the batteries may be fine. They’re just not getting charged. Voltage never dips below 34v under a load even up hills. It’s slow as balls compared to my DS but I’m just gonna make it a cruiser. Thinking rat rod type style, maybe a shorty windshield from a DS and some big wheels, or smoothie hubcaps and white wall tires if I can find some. Maybe flat black… the paint on it is hideous. It’s bright fire truck red and looks like someone glitterbombed it on top of the paint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLBuV0d3IRI Quick cruise around the neighborhood today
Old 10-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Batteries are officially “good to go”. drove it a good 3-4 miles today. Started fresh off the charger with 40ish volts (though much of that is surface charge since it was fresh off so didn’t pay much attention). After a few miles parked it and 30 minutes later sitting it was at 38.3v, never dropped below mid 35’s up the steep hills. Very happy about that.

Now that it works right, time for the fun “design” part to end the eyesore status and make it cool

I’ve got some ideas…
Old 10-15-2021, 09:15 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Put pedestals under those boat seats so they can spin around while you drive. That should make it all kinds of fun!

What's the thing on the body between the FnR lever and the 30A house plug?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car