lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
stapes1962
Not Yet Wild

Default 82 club car

so I installed my repaired motor into my 82 club car, put batteries back in .. then followed the wire connection diagram to reconnect everything.. did all this before putting the body back on just in case there were any issues

SO, even before turning the key on, I just moved the lever into forward position and started getting smoke from one of the battery connections and the FnR unit.. immediately disconnected and rechecked all my wiring for correct connections,, still all looked correct.. so tried it again, this time lever into reverse, and FnR unit literally shot out sparks and flamed up!!!!!!!

any thoughts, seems something is terribly wrong, LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82 wiring.jpg (233.1 KB, 0 views)
stapes1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 82 club car

Did you have ANY wires disconnected other than the motor wires? For example, F&R switch, batteries, or any other large power cables?

If you just removed the motor wires, there is an incorrect connection on the motor terminals. If you saw sparks, there may be damage but chances are you may be ok. Just check the wiring to the motor.

What you can do is disconnect the motor wires , tape them off, and try the F&R switch again. If everything looks ok, no sparks or smoke, reconnect the motor making sure the armature and stator are wired correctly.

Here is a good diagram for the connections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82 Club Car F&R to motor.jpg (51.9 KB, 0 views)
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
stapes1962
Not Yet Wild

Tom, ok.. but first here is a pic of the cables/wires are going into it now, hopefully you can see the small labels.. I think this may be the original old FnR too.. do you see any obvious wrong connections? also, I had pulled all the old bad batteries out when I got it, but when put the new in , found the motor would not turn, it had some loose coils.. so, I did have other cables disconnected..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210916_170646.jpg (234.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-16-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
stapes1962
Not Yet Wild

also, fyi... cart was non running when I first got it, needed batteries for sure.. so I put new batteries in it, and got no movement.. but could hear each of the coil solenoids clicking as they should as you pressed the pedal down.. thus I assumed there was a problem in the motor, which there was, and had that repaired, hooked up the jumper test and confirmed it turned the wheels..so, I figured I was good to go once I wired everything back up.. SO, Im thinking I have something wired wrong causing what happened earlier.. but just cant see it no matter how many times I have looked
Old 09-16-2021, 06:25 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapes1962 View Post
Tom, ok.. but first here is a pic of the cables/wires are going into it now, hopefully you can see the small labels.. I think this may be the original old FnR too.. do you see any obvious wrong connections? also, I had pulled all the old bad batteries out when I got it, but when put the new in , found the motor would not turn, it had some loose coils.. so, I did have other cables disconnected..
With my aged eyes, I was able to make out all of the labels, and it appears ok. I'm not series cart savvy, and others may chime in that are much more knowledgeable with these.

Do the wires labeled A1 and S1 definitely go to A1 and S1 on the motor? And do the motor wires off A2 go directly to the solenoid without resister coils and the one off S2 go directly to the pack negative?

I may not be seeing something obvious here. Unless a positive wire got crossed with a negative either through the motor or somewhere else, it should not have sparked or smoked with the key switch off.

Let's see if we can get some series assistance.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #6
stapes1962
Not Yet Wild

yep, all the motor connections are correct, still has clear label markings on the motor posts... this might be a stretch, but I didnt mount the FR unit back up to the body, just in case there were any issues, and wondering if something as crazy as that could be a problem.. but I would be surprised if the FR unit is even functional now, since the second time I tried it, it literally had flames shooting out of it, tho surprisingly it doesnt look burnt up, lol
Old 09-16-2021, 07:53 PM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

36 volts can throw quite a spark!
Old 10-15-2021, 04:29 PM   #8
stapes1962
Not Yet Wild

update, hopefully someone will see this, lol.. I put a new FNR in it.. NO sparks NO flames!!!! had back end jacked up.. put in F, heard the click.. pressed accelerator, tires turned and and solenoid click as pressed down and sped up, tried reverse, same success... NOW,,, thought I was good to go.. lowered it.. went to back it out, AND.. it just didnt want to go, tried but just wouldnt,all solenoids click.. had 37.1 bank voltage.. once again Im at a loss to why it seems fine when jacked up, but on the ground just wont go???
Old 10-15-2021, 05:15 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Put a meter on the pack and see what the voltage drops to when you try to go. The only difference between running with the tires in the air and on the ground is the LOAD of moving the cart.
If the pack voltage(36) is dropping as much as one battery value (6) then the cart has a battery problem.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #10
stapes1962
Not Yet Wild

ok scotty , I will try that in the morning, but that would suck, as they are feb 21 batts, tho they have been just sitting for a few months, and not sure the charger is working.. Is it also possible they just need a good charging?

Tags
fnr
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car