lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2021, 03:31 PM   #1
MaximumOverdrive
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 36v PQ Bandit + 48v Lithium speed report

I finally finished my cart today after 3 months in the garage. It's a 2000 TXT Series. It was 36v and it went 14 mph with the old 22 inch tires. It now goes up to 31 mph with the original 36v motor after Plum Quick did their Bandit rebuild. I removed the top and the backseat and I added 23 inch tires, a 48v lithium Husky Big Battery, and 2 awg cables throughout.

I used a GPS speedometer app. I forget my tire pressure, it's on the higher end, but nothing remarkable. I didn't have any passengers and I weigh about 203. I'm not entirely sure what my cart weighs now, but I think it's 400 or 500 lbs less than it was with the top, rear seat, and lead batteries. The cart came with a 6 inch lift and an old Alltrax AXE 400 amp controller that I'm still using. The controller was made in 2008.

31 mph was on flat ground, not sure about wind speed or direction. I plan on doing more break in and testing later today and throughout the week.
MaximumOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v PQ Bandit + 48v Lithium speed report

Not sure what PQ recommends for a Max RPM for your motor, but it is likely to be either 6000RPM or 6500RPM and you can exceed the lower one and very likely the higher one going WOT downhill.

With 23" tires and 12.44:1 gears 6000RPM is 33.0MPH and 6500RPM is 35.8MPH, so keep an eye on the speed going downhill. I slid to a stop from about 34MPH when my motor exploded and believe me, it is not something you want to do!

FWIW: With your tire height and gear ratio, your motor spins 182RPM per MPH (181.805 to be exact), so multiply your speed by 182 to get motor RPM.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #3
MaximumOverdrive
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, Jonnie. It must've been pretty crazy having your motor explode like that! I don't ever want to do that. But I've been reading your posts for quite some time now and that is how I already knew that I do not want to go much over 30 with this motor. We don't have many hills on my island, but I always make a point to drive slightly slower going down hill than on flat ground.

I'm going to take it out again when it finishes charging and get some more speed readings. Thanks again for telling me about the motor explosion. I think if it ever goes above 31 then I'll turn the controller's speed down, but I'll see what some more readings with the GPS say.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:30 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Series drive controllers don't sense motor RPM like nearly all Sepex controllers do, so you can't turn down the max speed. You have to manually avoid going too fast.

I exploded a sepex motor, but I was running an Alltrax DCX controller at the time and it doesn't have any provisions for a speed sensor, so I was in the same boat as someone with a series drive. With the setup I have now (The motor took the DCX controller with it) I have the max RPM set to about 6k and if I try to exceed that going downhill with my foot on the floor, the regen braking kicks in.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
MaximumOverdrive
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Too bad about the controller's top speed setting I guess. I had hoped to make the cart a little bit safer for my mother in law to drive.

I think my cart is actually doing about 29 mph on flat ground without wind. I had a friend with a motorcycle helping me measure this time.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:16 AM   #6
luvdamud
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Max - congrats on the project completion. Sounds like that little TXT is rockin'! Keep us updated on the Husky battery and your opinions of it. I have tried to get Big Battery to consider a 72volt setup but they keep telling me it is not in their plans. I'm interested to hear how their other batteries hold up.
luvdamud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:46 AM   #7
MaximumOverdrive
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, luvdamud. It feels great not to do anymore mechanic work on the cart for now.

I've driven it over 60 miles in the last week and I'm going to call it a 28mph cart. It can go 29, but it can't sustain it. The battery is fantastic so far. I went on a 32 mile run yesterday and the battery probably has 25 percent left.

So, final determination on the setup for anyone considering a similar build in the future... 28 mph
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO