lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
ta69man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Updated controller now partial speed

Hi group,

It's been a while since I was here but I've always gotten good advice in the past so here is my new problem:

I've got a CC Precedent that had a 1510-5201 controller on it. A few years ago there was a motor issue that took out the field output and I engineered something outside of the controller to make it work and put on a new motor. Recently the batteries went flat so I got new ones and also got a used 1510A-5251 controller and put it on so I could make the cart more user friendly. Everything installed without an issue. Also note that I'm pretty sure the cart has the high speed sensor magnet.

I powered the cart up and everything seemed fine. I slowly drove out of the garage and down the road. Not for any specific reason, but I was slowly pressing the pedal to go faster and faster. At about 80% throttle the cart suddenly slowed as if it detected a problem. From that point forward the cart has only gone up to this reduced power or limp home kind of speed... it's not tried to get as fast as it was just before it slowed.

The speed just before it slowed was good... my guess would be ~14 mph and climbing. Now it makes it up to maybe 8mph but seems to have the torque to maintain that up small hills.

Also, I don't charge thru the normal port. Instead I have an on board NOCO charger but I have not bypassed the OBC to my knowledge.

Any ideas as to the cause? Also, I think the new controller came off a 2007 DS IQ and my cart is around a 2004 Precedent I think. Thanks,
ta69man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
ta69man
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Updated controller now partial speed

I've done some searching and I'm pretty sure the issue is the speed sensor. Documentation shows if the controller hits 75% pwm output but no pulses are seen then it goes into a limp type mode until the problem is fixed. Knowing this I grabbed the cart and pushed it around the garage with key on and it didn't get mad so I'm assuming sensor issue. I'll check it out this weekend.
ta69man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

You hit the nail on the head. Appears to be a speed sensor. Manually push the cart forwards and backwards and you should feel resistance and hear the beeping. If not, then it for sure has failed.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:25 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

And if it is a bad sensor, be careful of the china made clones, they are usually junk and fail out the box or soon after. Get a quality OEM made SS. Call David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars 706-431-3917 and he will help.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car